Pages

Saturday, October 21, 2023

rock punks

 Magnum and I both had the day off yesterday, a beautiful fall day. He asked if I wanted to do "a hike or something". 

Recall that he got himself some trekking poles a few months back to aid in this "hike or something" business. He test drove them on a short hike to Horsetooth Falls, then we did a slightly more strenuous hike to Arthur's Rock. With both, the poles did their job, and Magnum and his knees survived.

So now he was ready for Horsetooth Rock, which is a prominent landmark here.


It sits watching over us from the west, and as can be imagined, many local businesses like to ride its coattails a la Horsetooth Dentistry, Horsetooth Plumbing, Horsetooth [fill in the blank]... It was so named by early wild west trapper types for looking like a you-know-what.

Getting to the tooth is a popular local hike. I went up solo shortly after we moved here, but Magnum had only been partway. He deemed yesterday the day of the tooth. We set off, us and his trusty poles. 

It was a nice day for it, maybe a little on the hot side. I'm glad to report we made it up, and (more importantly) back down without a hitch.



The trail was not crowded at all. We got to the summit, where there were a handful of others, in mid-morning and met more people coming up as we were headed back down. 

It was a nice way to end another somewhat busy week. The weather's great, but it will be blustery and snowy soon. 

And I managed to keep my inktober streak alive for the time being.

Ten more prompts to go.  Paper and pens are in ample supply, so it falls to me.


8 comments:

Linda Sue said...

I reckon it’s all that fresh air that drives you! Horse tooth looks daunting to me. I love your inks , so good!

Abby said...

Linda Sue, the fresh air and dirt are great for the soul! And th😊anks for the love 😊

Jeanette said...

Looks like a great place to hike!

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

The sky is so blue and it looked like a nice day. Enjoy 'em while you can. Thankfully we don't get snowy and blisterly. :-)

Abby said...

Jeanette, it was nice to take advantage of it.

Peggy, beautiful day, it was. Snowy blustery could hit this weekend 😐.

Allstarme79 said...

I saw a few people using trekking poles on the hike at Raven's Cliff this weekend; wish I had had them due to my strained quad!

Liz Hinds said...

Well done on reaching the teeth! And your drawings are amazing!

Abby said...

Allstarme79, I have yet to feel a need for trekking poles, but yeah, they'd be great for hiking with a quad strain.

Liz, thank you, the hike and inktober are pleasing diversions!