Pages

Sunday, September 24, 2023

style?

It was 44 degrees F when I headed out this morning for a little Sunday morning run-around. Happy fall! I'm not complaining and welcome the cool temps. Soon, I'll have to break out the full finger gloves for the bicycle commute.

I worked yesterday as my turn came around again for the Saturday rotation. It was Party Girl and me, and the day went smoothly. She'd been sharing that she's recently put herself on a clothes-buying budget... because she's needing new clothes after putting on some weight. 

I had noticed her looking nicer/ better and had previously thought that maybe she just liked to wear tight clothing. Not the case. Now, she's no "fatty", but she's a few years into her 50s, and the body's been responding accordingly.

This with the cooler temperatures reminded me that I could use some cold weather clothes, but I don't particularly like clothes shopping - the going to various stores, selecting, trying on, yadda yadda. Thank goodness we have the internet now, not that that's always successful. But maybe it's time for a little closet purge as I swap out the seasonal clothing. 




When I was a kid, I did a decent amount of back-to-school shopping via catalog - the precurser to online shopping, I suppose. My mom would have me go through pages much like this one and make a few selections. 

Mom would place the order, and in a week or two, the big bell bottomed, puffy sleeved, embroidered fashion disasters would arrive.  Good times.

At least the work "dress code" is pretty simple. Jeans are fine. No words on shirts unless it's gear from the college, and I have no gear from the college. When I worked at the nursing home, we were supplied a "uniform" of scrubs, which made life easy in the what-am-I-going-to-wear-today department. 




In other work-related news, I've been "voluntold" that I'm on the selection committee for the new assistant boss now that old Assistant Boss is now just plain Boss. After some thought, I think it will be a worthwhile assignment. 

It's a committee of three - an enrollment advisor and a disability services coordinator in addition to myself. We won't have the final say, but will do the first round of interviews and make recommendations. Naturally, I'm hoping for a decent pool of suitable applicants. 

Know anyone??


8 comments:

John Holton said...

"Voluntold"? I feel sorry for you. I love the word, though.

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

I have always loved catalog shopping. I hate to shop and peruse the stores. It's not something I enjoy as other women do. I wanted new clothes, so the JCPenney catalog was my friend. Now the internet. And yes after 65 my body has changed and it's weird. Weight is distributed differently, not a fan.
I too, love the word 'voluntold' You clever little shit you!
😁

Danielle L Zecher said...

I hate clothes shopping, too. JC Penney has always been my go-to, first the catalogs and now online. I have absolutely no idea how I will clothe myself if they ever go completely out of business.

Good luck with the assistant boss search.

Allstarme79 said...

44?? No thanks! Way too cold.

Abby said...

John, thanks for the sentiment.

Peggy, I used to enjoy hitting up the mall when I was a teenager. That's the last I remember liking to shop.

Abby said...

Danielle, looks like JCPenney's days are numbered. They had a good run.

Allstarme79, in a few weeks, 44 will feel balmy.

Jeanette said...

I usually enjoy shopping for clothes. I always have to try them on because I hate returning things. I really do like JC Penney's clothes. There's still 2 stores by me so hopefully they will stick around for a while!

Liz Hinds said...

I think my clothes stay much the same all year: t-shirt with added layers as necessary - currently vest and sweatshirt; shorts or jeans. I am resisting going back into jeans for as long as I can.
Lucky you being allowed to choose your own clothes!