Pages

Sunday, September 17, 2023

hype, plumpies, doodles

A little weekend reflection...

Random happenings:

  • In this week's excitement, we got a new fridge. His name is Coolio.

  • The general area seems to be on a collective hangover following last night's college football match-up between Colorado and Colorado State. The two state rivals meet annually for the "Rocky Mountain Showdown", and both teams have been pretty bad the last few years.

This year, there's the whole hype train surrounding CU football, and the showdown was expected to be a blowout.  CSU apparently got tired of hearing about it, and they actually showed up for the show down, eventually taking a loss, but making CU play double overtime to get the win. I didn't watch any of it, but it's difficult to escape the hype around here. I'm exhausted just thinking about playing 2 football overtimes.

  • A childhood friend of mine invited me to friend his running-for-mayor-of-hometown facebook page. He's changed both his first and last names, and he's always been a bit goofy. At first, I wondered if it was a joke page, but it seems he's legit running. 

Honestly, I've often wondered if he's undiagnosed bipolar. Not that running for mayor of a small town is too far out there, but I think it's a bit out of his league. But hey, who knows?

 A news story that caught my attention:



Fernando Botero, the Columbian artist, died last week at the age of 91. He was known for "plump, inflated forms" like this...

He was a prolific painter, apparently painting every day, all day.

I have no idea why he focused on the plump, but it made him lots of moulah.





A Triumph of the week:

  • I joined that gym I did a trial at last week. I typically go to the gym and try to get strong a couple of times a week - or at least go through the motions. This new gym is a step up from where I'd been going.

A Challenge of the week:

  • My Father-in-law and his wife were planning a visit in a couple of weeks, but FIL sprained/ strained a hip, so he's resting and had to cancel the trip. FIL has always been quite fit for his age, and he's now 89.

Looking ahead:

Speaking of art and challenges, the prompt list for Inktober '23 has been released. I plan to participate once again. Highly doubtful to get all 31 prompts, but we'll see where I end up. Seems all I do is doodle during downtime, so we'll see what happens this Inktober




5 comments:

J. S. Vila said...

Is so good to do sport, starting in calm, and doing more progressively. Then the health of the body ever is better.

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Coolio is a great name for your new fridge!

Hmm...a fetish with plump perhaps?

Abby said...

Peggy, I wondered that myself about the plump.

Anonymous said...

Hi. Found your blog fairly recently. Very late reply, but perhaps Botero was focused on the sensuality of the flesh. No one asks “why” when only the slim are portrayed. Botero’s forms had more of a textural or physical presence for me, more 3D than most paintings. Anyway, appreciate your depictions of everyday life. They’re grounding? in an unexpected way. Olivia

Abby said...

Hi Olivia, interesting Botero observation. I vaguely remember reading him noting that he liked "volume". Thanks for stopping by!