Pages

Saturday, September 9, 2023

Hawaii on a budget

I live near Greeley, CO, which gets a lot of flack from the rest of the state in general. It's about a 45-minute drive east of here and is known for its aroma as it is home to a large meat packing plant.  In fact, on days when the weather conditions are right, we here in Fort Collins get a good whiff of Greeley.

I bring it up because there is an episode of South Park where Greeley is described as "the exact opposite of Hawaii"

And this brings me back to a time in high school. The small coal mining town I lived in would be more the exact opposite of Hawaii than is Greeley, I'd say. 

That 40th class reunion I mentioned is coming up, it is to take place during the high school's homecoming weekend. I don't know what the kids do these days, but homecoming week when I was there included a series of "theme" days.

During my senior year, I recall one of the days being "Hawaiian Day" where we were to dress accordingly. My friend, Carolyn, and I didn't have anything particularly Hawaiian to wear, so we got a brainstorm and decided we would both wear towels as skirts - to resemble Hawaiian sarongs?

So I found the most sarong looking towel at home, paired it with a short sleeved top, clipped a little flower hair garnish, and set off to school for Hawaiian day. Once there, I remember Carolyn, adorned in this sort of house dress, slinking up to me at my locker, saying, "My mom wouldn't let me wear a towel to school!" The house dress was apparently her mom's.

Carolyn (right) and me, not at all Hawaii

So I spent the day of school walking around in a towel - more of a Hawaiian "so wrong". To clarify, I was wearing a pair of gym shorts underneath. 

Probably the most Hawaiian of my outfit were my flip flops and my tan.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Linking up this week with Mama Kat for the prompt:

2. Tell us about a favorite school outfit that you thought you nailed.


5 comments:

John Holton said...

Kind of hard to find a muu-muu in Greeley, I would imagine...

Abby said...

John, muu-muus unlikely in Greeley. "Moo Moos", however...

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

I think you look adorable. I'd be worried the towel would fall. :-)

Abby said...

Peggy, I had the same worry. I think I had it safety pinned, plus the gym shorts safety net.

KatBouska said...

There are some really cute prints on towels! AND it is beachy! I think you nailed it.