Pages

Friday, July 21, 2023

escape

Fangirl confession: I've been rewatching the Syfy series Haven again. Yes, rewatching again as in I've watched it several times. And maybe "watched" is not the right term since, after truly watching it one time through, I now indulge myself by streaming episodes while I'm going about mundane tasks around the house. What better way to clean bathrooms, do laundry, and such?

Is it a guilty pleasure, or just a pleasure? I don't carry any guilt about it.


The show ran for 5 seasons from 2010 to 2015. It's loosely based on a Stephen King novel, "The Colorado Kid".  

Nothing to be taken too seriously, but I enjoy the creativity and the Stephen King vibe -  a fun escape. I enjoy the characters, the writing, and, probably most of all, the setting.

It was filmed on the South Shore of Nova Scotia, a place I've never been but would like to. In addition to the drama, the episodes include wonderfully scenic views of fishing boats, lighthouses, beachfronts, quaint little seaside shops... things we don't have here in Colorado. I love the sounds of seagulls, lapping waves, and those boat bells - there's probably a specific name for "those boatbells", but I don't know what it is. I'm Colorado, so I know cowbells. 

Haven Trailer

Magnum and I watched the series originally back when it was more fresh, but we lost interest somewhere in season 4, I think. I've never watched to the end. But I stream the earlier seasons now and then, like today when the kitchen needed a cleaning.

A more recent show we watched is The Wilds, which ran for two seasons. Teens sent off to a "retreat" for troubled kids become stranded on an island after their plane crashes... or did it? Decent premise, but I once again lost interest before the last episode, and we stopped watching early on in season 2.


Currently, we're a few episodes into Deadloch, which is starting to grow on me with it's catchy deadpan one liners. I found one of the main characters overwritten and highly annoying early on, but her role has shifted a bit, so I'll stay in for now. 

As with books, I have no problem ditching a TV series when it's not working for me. The purpose of both is to be amusing escapism, right? It's not like it's for a work/school assignment. I can think of other shows I enjoyed for a while, but they ended up dragging on for too long without going anywhere, or went off the deep end. 

First world problems, I know.

So excuse me while I go pretend I'm cleaning a bathroom in Nova Scotia, just not a season 5 bathroom.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Linking up this week with Mama Kat for the prompt:

5. What are you watching? Share your favorite summer programming so far.

6 comments:

John Holton said...

We were that way with "Downton Abbey." We thought it was like a miniseries, then discovered there were more seasons, so we ignored the rest.

Abby said...

John, yes. This. Some shows start out so good, but then don't know when to stop. I prefer beginning, middle, end. Not beginning, middle, middle, middle, snore...

Patty Sparano said...

While I've admitted to watching movies on Hallmark, I do get out in the real, real, world with other favs like The Smithsonian Channel and, once in a while, Blue Bloods. Usually, they run in the background of my office, a necessary distraction at times, while I pretend I'm writing.

Liz Hinds said...

We're just watching The Lincoln Lawyer season 2 - and it's just finished on a cliffhanger! Meanwhile I'm binge-watching Grey's Anatomy.

KatBouska said...

Maybe you'll make it to the end this time around! lol I have friend who is obsessed with the Office, but never watched the end. She didn't want to cry. That's a show I could definitely binge watch episodes of. I've never heard of Haven, but I love that it's based off of a Stephen King novel!

Jeanette said...

We ae not currently watching any shows but Justified is coming back with a new season so we'll probably be watching that soon.