Pages

Tuesday, July 18, 2023

down by the crick

Hot enough for ya?  This morning I stepped outside for a run at what is usually a pleasant time for such activity. But alas, it was already 76 degrees. Gross.

I realize 76 degrees would be pleasant for some, but we're spoiled here, and it's typically a good 10+ degrees cooler at that time in the morning.

Strangely, conditions seemed to improve as time went on. I ran mostly following a creek, which proved to be my, literally, cool friend. I crossed many other runners, walkers, bicyclists, and such also wanting to beat the heat. 

Last week on reddit, runners were discussing amazon prime day deals. I skimmed and saw heart rate monitors, gps watches, etc. Nothing I was interested in. Then someone said, "Nuun tablets half price!", and I was all, "what are nuun tablets?"

Well, I guess I'll find out, because I ordered me a 4-pack prime deal.

In somewhat related news, read about this guy? Assassinated while running. Hmm, bet he thought he was doing something healthy. He regularly posted his running and bicycling routes on the Strava app for all to see. Not a good idea for a commander during a war against Ukraine, or any place else for that matter. 

I, like many others, use Strava for logging runs and bicycle rides. Once again, I'm grateful I'm a nobody. But this is another example of how surprised I am with what people will post online. Strava, naturally, includes privacy settings, but the former commander didn't use them, apparently. It's like some facebook friends who give updates about how they just landed at some airport destination far far away from home for a specific number of days, a la , "Hey, go rob my house!"

On the flip side, Strava can be a handy thing, like last week when a woman was cooling down after her run and was approached by perv who tried to "expose his genitals" before she left the area. She got some snapshots from afar and posted a be-on-the-lookout to a local Strava group. 


She didn't get a good picture of the perv himself, but that's a pretty distinctive vehicle. 

Seen him?



3 comments:

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

I was unaware of Strava but then I don't run unless chased. What a dumbell to track himself like that. Honestly, people do the darnest things. I am surprised you'd use Nuun tablets. Aren't they genetically modified "nutrients" wouldn't it be better to take the real thing? Just curious.And why must nutrients be genetically modified? Yes, I'm that dumb.

Allstarme79 said...

Wow, 70s is hot? Those of us in Florida would probably kill for that. I haven't seen 80s in probably 2-3 months.

Abby said...

Peggy, I know almost nuun about nuun, but they claim to be non GMO. They are electrolyte tablets to dissolve in water for hydration and electrolyte replacement. I usually just eat a crap ton of manzanilla olives to get my sodium fix.

Allstarme79, we typically get into upper 80s/ low 90s during the summer days and down to low 60s at night, so 76 in early morning got us all whining. You Floridians are tough.