Pages

Tuesday, July 11, 2023

cancels, gatherings, and dirt

Random thought / moment from the week:

  • At work, we had an unfortunate man take his teacher license exam. I think it was for middle school math. He worked away for a couple of hours, felt confident about his answers, then accidentally hit "CANCEL" instead of "SUBMIT". 

    Just like that, his test was gone. No pop-up asking "are you sure?", no way to restore the exam, no nothing. He'll need to wait 35 days before he can take it again - after paying for it again. Ouch!  Poor guy was quite shaken up. Probably didn't get any sleep that night.

News that caught my attention:

  • Juggalo gathering 2023 happened last weekend. I learned about Juggalos from a weird news story a few years ago when a strange guy was busted for stealing neighbors' Christmas decorations. He'd steal them and then put them up in his yard, i.e. it wasn't difficult to figure out who the thief was. 
SOURCE

The story was quite bizarre, and one of the details that came out was that Christmas thief chiefly identified as a juggalo, which sent me googling. Interesting crowd.

Anyway, I came across a reference this week to Insane Clown Posse, which jogged my memory and had me wondering if the gatherings still happen. I learned that, yep, they're still a thing and this year's coincidentally just happened. It seems juggalos have the reputation of being both highly depraved and lovingly spiritual - with much help from various drugsI can't attest to know either way.

Triumphs:

  • We broke down and purchased an air conditioner for the bedroom. We don't have central air, which is not all that uncommon in Colorado. But it can get unspeakably hot sometimes, and we've used a portable evaporative cooler that has served us well in the past. Fort Collins, however, is just humid enough to make the swamp cooler less than useful, so we bought a 1-room unit with an exhaust hose for the window.

As such, I rearranged the bedroom furniture to accommodate the pristine spot for the new air conditioner. So far, the new bedroom feng shui is agreeable, although that first night, I woke up in the middle of the night and it took a while for my spatial recognition to figure out where I was.

Challenges:

  • I got a quote from a landscaping company a couple of weeks ago for making the desired changes to our front yard. 

Bottom line: we DIY

Something learned from triumph or challenge:

  • I enjoy farting around in the yard grass, weeds, dirt, etc. when time allows. However, removing poorly maintained landscaping gravel is a pain in the ass.

3 comments:

Allstarme79 said...

I was really into ICP in college and had no idea they still had those gatherings. I'd never go to one but that's kind of fun, I suppose.

Linda Sue said...

The test thing is so wrong! He should definitely not be charged for an additional test. Load of rubbish , that.But then, I am in a mood of no filter today and everything seems unfair and unjust in the world- to be called out.
DIY, I hear you on that one, it just cost my friend 3,000 mickeys to get her large back yard cleared and organized.Yikes!

Abby said...

Allstarme79, apparently, there was no gathering in 2020 because of you-know-what, otherwise, they're still happening. I would consider going for a few hours just to observe, no way I'm camping with that for 5 days.

Linda Sue, we felt so bad for that teacher. Can't believe it was so easy to cancel and no way to cancel the cancel. It's a wonder it hasn't happened before as far as I know.
Our yard is relatively small. They quoted $1000 just to haul the old stuff away, let alone put in the new.