Pages

Sunday, June 25, 2023

weekend bullets

And so ends another week. Time goes faster the older you get, it's true. 

  • I worked at the college yesterday as my turn came up in the Saturday rotation.  I was teamed with Assistant Boss who struggles somewhat with dyslexia. He seemed more challenged than usual yesterday after a problem with an early check-in had him a bit frazzled for the rest of the shift.

He confided to me that he thinks his dyslexia is getting worse as he gets older (he's late 50's). From my observation, it seems he has developed anxiety from the potential mistakes as a result of the dyslexia. Maybe it's the compound effects of dyslexia + anxiety about dyslexia making it seem worse.  End result: it's worse, but not terrible.

On a lighter note, we had chuckles from a test candidate from China whose name was pronounced "Wrong Way" (she found it amusing too). Made us wonder if our names mean anything in other languages? Hopefully nothing embarrassing. 

  • I decided to stop "drinking" a little over three months ago. At that time, the extent of my so-called drinking was splitting a lite beer with Magnum most evenings. So, I figured it wasn't really doing much for me, so what was the point? Admittedly, I did/ do miss the taste of it in a habitual kind of way, especially now that we're in the heat of summer and a "cold one" sounds enticing. 

Last weekend, we went out to eat with the guys for Father's Day, and they each ordered (not lite) beers. I got a slight buzz just from sampling them. If I wasn't a lightweight before, I definitely am now.

  • 38-year-old Courtney Dauwalter from Leadville, CO won the Western States 100-mile ultra race by smashing the previous record for women. 

I enjoy running, and I have absolutely NO desire to EVER run 100 miles. I don't even have the desire to run a full marathon - something all kinds of people pay money to do. 

That said, I would happily run 100 miles through the mountains before I would ever get into a deep-sea submersible.

 

6 comments:

Danielle L Zecher said...

There are plenty of things I'd love to do if we had tons of money, but getting in a deep-sea submersible has never been one of them! My husband hates running, so I may ask him if he'd choose running 100 miles in the mountains or getting in a deep-sea submersible.

Abby said...

Danielle, it's like a game of "would you rather..."

Jeanette said...

I'm a lightweight like you. I take half of a tiny bottle of margarita, fill the rest with water and still feel it!

Abby said...

Jeanette, I guess we're both pretty inexpensive drunks!

Allstarme79 said...

I wish I could say I was cutting back on drinking but my one day to skip it is Monday. Tuesday I had 3 ounces of Buffalo Trace. Yesterday, hubs and I split four beers so I had, what, 2? Not too bad, I guess.

Abby said...

Allstarme79, yep, I've heard worse. After 3 months or so, I'm kind of surprised I still miss it.