Pages

Tuesday, June 20, 2023

thinking thoughts

Tuesday, time to reflect I guess.

Random thoughts/ moments:

  • We got together for a nice time with all the guys for Father's Day. It included another good restaurant discovery (featuring no adjacent table drama). My blackened chicken sammich was so good, but I didn't finish it. I actually woke up later in the middle of the night thinking, "Damn, shoulda got the to-go box!"
  • My 19-year-old friend/former coworker CC had her baby. Everyone seems happy, lovey, and healthy in the filter that is facebook.
  • Had a P.E.O. meeting last weekend. Our convention delegate came back with various prizes for us. I got the "Crunch" award, for coming through in a crunch, a.k.a. agreeing to be the next chapter Prez. I figured my award would have to do with that

News that caught my attention:

  • Our local indoor mall is staging for a total redo that will essentially get rid of the indoor mall. It all makes good sense to me, but where are the old folks going to walk?
  • I have no desire to go on any sort of "submersible tour" of the Titanic or otherwise be in a submarine. Certainly not to a depth of 13,000 feet. Especially not after such stories of the ongoing search operations.
  • I read an article written by a local MD who is also a registered dietician. The article addresses why/ what to eat before running. I usually run in the morning and don't eat beforehand, but the article says, 
"Men and women's bodies function differently when it comes to burning fuel and things that have worked well for some men (i.e. fasted running) are dangerous and counterproductive to women."

So that caught my attention, which is mainly why I read the article. But I never found what was "dangerous and counterproductive to women". Anyone?

Triumphs:

  • Is it a triumph that I thought about eating a graham cracker, like the good doctor's article suggests, before heading out for a run this morning? But then I said, "Nah", went for an enjoyable jaunt and survived?

Challenges:

  • We've got landscaping ideas for the front yard. I actually like working in the yard, but it's time consuming. Do we just throw money at it and let some pros do the main bits, then happily maintain it afterward? Or keep chipping away and have a never-ending-WIP?

One thing learned from triumph or challenge:

  • As mentioned, sprucing up the yard on our formerly-a-rental-enjoying-a-mere-modicum-of-lawncare house, I'm learning, is a good sized project.

3 comments:

ShadowRun300 said...

Wanted to pop in and say hi. Hi!
I can’t believe how long it’s been since I’ve been here. I had lots of catching up to do! But as always, I’ve enjoyed the reading.
Loved the drawing of your SFIL and find it perfect as the cover of his book. It may be a bit choppy, but I think years down the road it will be nice to have his thoughts on paper.
Also wanted to let you know we have moved to the far east. Well, Charlotte, NC. Sad that we’re further away from Colorado, but loving it here so far. It’s so green and full of trees! I manage 11 of the hotels in this area and really loving my new role. It allows me so much more free time, while still having goals to hit. I’ve always loved that kind of challenge.
Anyway, it was good catching up with you through your blog. Hope you’re doing well.

Allstarme79 said...

I never eat before a run; gross. Kind of seems like the redeveloped area will still be walkable? Malls just can't keep up with online retailers these days. It's sad because I love malls! I've also heard many malls are converting old anchor stores into pickleball courts. LOL

Abby said...

ShadowRun300, hey you! Thanks for stopping by and for the updates. Been meaning to email ya!

Allstarme79, yes, the redevelopment will allow for walking, but no longer indoors, which can be the preference during the cold months. Pickleball!
The running article advised "15g of carbohydrate 15-30 mins before a run". It was not at all appealing, but I tried it in the interest of science. Didn't really notice any difference.