Pages

Tuesday, June 13, 2023

sometimes sunshine, go away

 Some Tuesday reflections

3 random thoughts/ moments:

  • Are mullets making a comeback? I've been seeing mullets on more kids and young adults than I remember in recent years. I've gotta say, some people are able to rock a mullet. I don't hate them.

  • Young guy came into the testing center for a certification test having to do with his job in horticulture. Party girl put him through the whole don't-cheat pocket check before seating him for the test.
    He responded with, "wow, this is worse than when I went to jail!", which had us giggling.

  • Speaking of Party Girl and horticulture, she expressed her interest in trying psilocybin, or magic mushrooms - which are legal in our state - to improve her mood, with guidance from a knowledgeable doctor.
    She's totally given up pot and hard liquor and "only drinks beer".  She pretty much confessed to me that she knows she's an alcoholic, and she said it in such a way that assumed I knew it already, which I did. I just wasn't sure if she knew it.

News that caught my attention:

Triumphs:

I have enough regularly scheduled tutees for summer to nicely round out my working schedule. I'm not going to take on any more students, so can settle into a modicum of predictability for the next few weeks (ha! as if).

Challenges:

We've been getting well above average amounts of rain for the last month or so, which isn't really a challenge. I appreciate the break from the hot 'n' dry. But the rain has flooded some areas, and it does put a literal damper on my bicycle commuting. 

Magnum got himself some trekking poles a couple of weeks ago. His knees don't like hiking downhill, so he mostly avoids it. He hasn't yet hiked "the tooth" (Horsetooth mountain) right here in our "back yard". It's such a local landmark, it seems illegal for him not to have hiked it in the three years we've lived here. 

I've been meaning to go up again now that it's summer, and Magnum says he'll test out the trekking poles and join me. They'd better work, I'm not carrying him down. In the meantime, we're waiting for the trail to be less muddy and mostly less hail-y and lightning-y. 

One thing learned from triumph or challenge:

Work Study shared with me a list she compiled with activities for getting out of her comfort zone/ routine. It's easy to get stuck in a rut. It's been too long since I've done much exploring outdoors. Rain or shine, just go.


4 comments:

Linda Sue said...

Jailing people may be a talent you did not know that you excelled at- thorough checking of possible hi-jinx!
Nuggets I thought that was a joke- it is one of the most humorous names for a mighty team that I have ever heard! Like calling them "the Bacon Rolls" or "The baluts" - I realize that GOLD is meant but my first thought always goes to edibles. Silly team name.

Abby said...

Linda Sue, Jailbird's comment just spilled out, knee-jerk like... then he failed his test.
"The baluts"!!

Allstarme79 said...

Yeah I could probably have hit that pace for a mile last season, when I was a lot faster. Seems impossible now. And yes, mullets are making a comeback. I see them a lot and I asked the boys' barber and he says he does far more of them than he would like!

Abby said...

Allstarme79, okay, so the mullets aren't just my imagination!
And 2-mile guy made it look much more effortless than my 1-mile attempt would be.