Pages

Thursday, April 6, 2023

pretty and babies

She and I are the same age. I remember idolizing her when we were teenagers.  I had my subscription to Seventeen magazine, and Brooke Shields was wearing Calvin Klein jeans, so every girl wanted some CK jeans.


She was just too pretty. And I could relate somewhat and aspire because, in addition to being the same age as me, she was brunette, unlike Farrah Fawcett - the iconic blonde babe of that time. 

But I was no fool and knew I didn't hold a candle to Brooke Shields and that she lived in a whole different world from mine.  A world I would NOT trade for! Yeesh.

There's a Brooke Shields documentary streaming on Hulu now. I doubt I will watch it, but have read some of the highlights, that are sadly not surprising. Sexual exploitation starting before she'd even reached puberty.

Speaking of pretty things, we had another spring snowstorm this week, not quite as messy as last week's that had me stranded on a transit bus. I was out walking an errand in it and came upon a couple of geese honey badgers not giving a *hoot*



The two of them hanging out on the side of the path paying no mind to walkers, joggers, bicyclists, plows... "go around, losers".

It occurs to me that it's about that time for the annual goose nesting, when the geese become downright nasty if anyone dares come close to their nesting babies.  I wonder if these two were scoping out a site.

That's my excitement so far this week. That and learning that dry erase markers are the BOMB for erasing "permanent" marker. Just write over the permanent marker with a dry erase, and wipe. 

I'm as old as Brooke Shields and never learned this 'til now?!


7 comments:

Chatty Crone said...

I like to learn things about the stars - so thanks. I may watch that. I know she is a good role model now.
Geese in snow?
And I did not know that about the markers - thanks.

Abby said...

Chatty, I might watch the documentary. She seems to be pretty happy these days.

Lorraine said...

I watched it and found it to be really interesting! She's a pretty amazing woman. I especially respect her for standing up to Tom Cruise after he put her down for taking meds to deal with her post partum depression. I had that and it's no joke. I never watched a Tom Cruise movie again after he made those remarks on the Today show.

Abby said...

Lorraine, I will probably watch it. She seemed to have dropped off the radar quite a bit after her teens. I didn't know about her PPD or Tom Cruise's remarks 😠

Allstarme79 said...

Did you ever watch the TV show, the Middle? Brooke Shields plays the trashy neighbor and it's not a character you'd ever think she'd do but it's pretty good.

Abby said...

Allstarme79, I'd not heard of the Middle, might have to check it out. I guess she found her comedic side as an adult.

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Abby, I'm getting caught up. :-)
I too have never known a dry eraser could erase permanent markers. Wow. I did watch the 2 episode Hulu docuseries on Brooke Sheilds. That she turned out okay is amazing!!