Pages

Sunday, March 19, 2023

YAY for allergies, mishap forensics, chicken

A little over a week ago, one of my tutees emailed me:

"My symptoms started Tuesday night and I tested positive for covid this morning (Thursday)..." 

Yeah, she and I met for a little over an hour that Wednesday. Honestly, I wasn't all that surprised at the email. She'd shown up for tutoring wearing a KN95 mask and admittedly feeling "like crap", but needing the help. During our session, she let out a few all too familiar sounding dry coughs as we sat closely - in hindsight - around a small table.

After receiving her email, I google searched to find the latest regarding covid reinfection. I found one article stating that people who are vaxxed and had covid should be fairly immune for about 10 months from their infection. Okay, I was getting behind that study!

In the days that followed, I had some paranoia inducing scratchy throat, sinus pressure... but YAY! It's allergies!

Welcome spring! Tomorrow is the official start, but I've enjoyed this week of saving the daylight. Can we just pick a time zone and stick to it already?

Spring break was this past week at the college and local school district, so work at the testing center and tutoring was relatively appreciably slow. Back to the grind tomorrow for the big push toward semester's end.

Speaking of big push, I was out running around on a recent morning, and came across this scene:


Curious, I've tried to piece together what happened. Something jumped the curb and crashed into the fence, but seems to me it wasn't a car but could've been. Looks like something tipped over and dragged into the fence. That dark smudge just beyond the fence break appears to be some sort of engine fluid, and there is a trail of it from the splotch indicating the driver turned and headed in the opposite direction.

Motorcycle? Scooter?  

In other imagery, who caught the google doodle for this past Wednesday? The 15th?




It was for Filipono adobo! That was my first thought upon seeing it, but then I thought, "Nah, there wouldn't be a google doodle just for chicken adobo"

But yes! There would be!

Apparently, it was to commemorate the anniversary of "adobo" being added to the Oxford English dictionary in 2006. Happy adobo anniversary!

It’s a symbol and expression of Filipino pride that varies from region to region, family to family, palate to palate.

Ask anyone with a Filipono mom or lola (grandma), "Who makes the best adobo?" The answer is, "My mom/ lola!"

And in MY case, it's actually true!



6 comments:

Chatty Crone said...

I am so glad you did not get Covid - YEAH. And those marks - what the heck happened I wonder.
I agree about the time change. One way or another!

Abby said...

Chatty, I'm grateful to have dodged the covid this time. I'm not too concerned about it making me really sick, it's just inconvenient, and, of course, I don't want to spread it further!

Jeanette said...

Hope Covid stays away from you! That is an interesting crash site!

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Abby, believe it or not I have not had covid yet. I've had everything else but not covid. LOL. Thank God.
I am glad you have allergies and not covid. Yea, for spring!
Do you wear a mask while tutoring? Not judging just curious.
I recall last March when I was at Duke eye center I asked my doctor if he ever thought covid would go away and he said No. I'm starting to see he was right damn it.

Abby said...

Jeanette, at this point, I'm sure I didn't get covid from the tutee. Glad to not revisit that experience.

Peggy, yes, glad you've at least dodged covid! Wish your everything else would take the hint.
I've never been so glad to have allergies kick in. Pretty sure covid is here for the long haul, ever changing.

Allstarme79 said...

My allergies are killing me today! I take zyrtec but it wore off before the end of the supposedly promised 24 hours. Sigh.