Pages

Sunday, March 26, 2023

what's the point?

Last Monday, I was happily pedaling to work, thinking about nothing in particular, when the thought came to me: "stop the beers".  

I'm not a big drinker by any means. Remember when my kids were afraid I'd get trashed after one shot? That was a bit extreme, but they weren't totally wrong. I haven't been truly drunk in a long long time.

However, somewhere along the last couple years, Magnum and I started drinking a beer each night at dinnertime. I say "a" beer as in one beer between the two of us - so around 6 oz. apiece. I don't remember why or when the habit started, it just did. 

It really has no noticeable effect on me, so I decided just not to do it anymore. That voice in my head.


Later, I consulted this little productivity image I saved in Pinterest a while back (then never looked at again, like a lot of things I save in Pinterest...). 

I noticed the 20th thing, corresponding with Monday's date, was to eliminate a habit. 

Aha, further prompting!

So I stopped the beers. Magnum did too, his choice. 

Now I'm looking to other things from the list I can easily do.


I kind of did a #22 with a new tutor student who talked the coordinator at the college into tutoring even though the semester is two thirds finished.

I agreed to squeeze her into my calendar. I won't go into detail, but she semi showed up for our first scheduled zoom, not at all prepared for a tutoring session. 

She asked if we could reschedule, and it was such a surprising request after she'd seemed so needy, I said "uh... okay?" and agreed to meet at an even more inconvenient-to-me time.

But then I slept on it, and decided "wait a minute, no!", after I'd set aside a time that she'd agreed to, then she decided to nope out and try a last minute change. So...

22. "stop doing" - going out of my way to over-accommodate grown ass adults.



5 comments:

Linda Sue said...

I think that i will steal your "sleep for eight hours tonight" because I usually sleep ten. "hug someone who supports you- I will be hugging my Spanx, i guess.Ted talks all day long, Please!

Abby said...

Linda Sue, hug the Spanx - HA!

Chatty Crone said...

That is a very interesting calendar. Good for you to do it. And to give up alcohol. My husband can't have a sip with his heart failure.

Abby said...

Chatty, I figured the beer wasn't doing me any favors.

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

I think I need this list. I haven't had alcohol in so long. 1 or two drinks in the last year. Being sick will change your eating and drinking habits sadly. I no longer use Pinterest because it depressed me. I can see how this list would as well. I'd do number 20 - get rid of the list. LOL