Pages

Sunday, March 12, 2023

lingering boss, veep, and fresh starts

Is this the day where we all b*tch about the time change?

I, for one, didn't realize it was spring forward weekend until Magnum mentioned it last night at bedtime. Welp, too late to plan accordingly at that point. Here we are in MDT.

Another good week in the books. Spring break for the college is this coming week, and it's been a  bit busier than usual. I'm looking forward to a more mellow week ahead? Hopefully? 

Boss told us that his move-out date has been moved to summer semester, so June. Ha! At this point, I'll believe it when I see it and am not holding my breath. I have heard through the grapevine that someone or two at another campus aren't happy with Boss's new position and don't particularly like some of the changes he wants to make. I say, "Just wait 'til they have to spend a whole shift with him!"

But that's the way it is. Not surprisingly, Boss was the only one who applied for the position.

Speaking of bossing, I was installed as VP of my P.E.O. chapter this week. As I stood up there saying my "I will", "I do", etc. I was thinking how I am still struggling to learn names of most of the members of this new chapter.  But they asked, so I said, "uhm, okay?"

I have a year as veep, so guess I'd better start learning some names and stuff. I figure this will be good for me to feel more committed after covid lockdowns took a lot of the fun out of P.E.O., and it took more of a back burner for me. 

Speaking of fresh starts, I have a tutor student who was struggling with an annoying cold/flu virus for a couple of weeks. He texted me on one of the days we were scheduled to meet:

"I'm at urgent care, and I doubt I will make it..."

And I was all, "WHAAAAT?!"

"...in time for tutoring", he continued.

Oh sheesh.

So we rescheduled once "the antibiotics kicked in!". He showed up, still a bit sniffly, but in a fresh new collegiate t-shirt and stylish haircut. Said, after the virus kicked his ass for two weeks, he was ready for a fresh start after feeling a bit better from the meds.

I thought, good idea. Periodic fresh starts are good things. So this week, I purged a few things from my closet, retired a pair of running shoes well past their prime, organized some computer files, and made an appointment at the hair salon 'cause I'm due. *satisfying exhale*. No annoying virus necessary.

Today, I'm on dog duty as Chaco dropped of his pooch, Ella, and he and Magnum went out to do some guy things. I might take the dogs for walks, I might not.
Schrödinger's dogs.


5 comments:

Chatty Crone said...

Congrats on VP of my P.E.O. !!!
Are you ever worried about getting Covid from one of your students?
Good luck with the new boss.

Linda Sue said...

Don't know what Veep entails but am aware of what president does, My mother was that for a while and it seemed like too much work for any one person. so I reckon you pick up the slack?
HAHA Schrodinger's dogs...In.out.
I hope the hair cutter does not bugger up the cut- It is always iffy when there are scissors involved.

Abby said...

Chatty, funny you mention the covid students. Had one tutee email me this past week that she tested positive the day after we had a session. Fingers crossed.

Linda Sue, yes the veep picks up the slack for the prez. But what it really means is that I agree to be prez next year. I've done it a couple times before and have learned to delegate :)
After an exhaustive search involving many a bad haircut, I found a decent haircutter. May she never retire.

Allstarme79 said...

LOL at the student; I've had kids give me a scare like that too. Though I don't really miss working at the college.

Abby said...

Allstarme79, he freaked me out for a SPLIT second :P