Pages

Friday, March 10, 2023

a year of normal

 It was the 1970s, I was in third grade. I vividly remember...

nothing?

Recently, I was trying to think of my third grade teacher and realized I couldn't recall who it was. I came up with a couple of potential "victims", but that's as far as I got. Strange.

I remember all of my K thru 4 teachers except for Ms. Third Grade. Could it be? Something disturbing happened during that school year? I've blocked it from my memory??

Certainly, no. I'm sure it's nothing as juicy as that. I'm leaning toward the year being uneventful, the teacher being competent, yet forgettable. Sorry Ms. Whoever-You-Are.


But I have this third grade school photo. It was one of my mom's favorites from the school photo pile. 

"You look like Pocahontas", she said, straightening the hanging family photo collage, my unintentional cultural appropriationing self looking out from the center.

I didn't think much of the photo myself. Too brown. The hair, the dress.

Looking at it now, all these years later, maybe I get what Mom was seeing: the surprisingly straight bangs. The peculiar symmetry of the big balled ponytail holders, the decidedly obedient stare...

By George, I've cracked the case!

I was kidnapped and held captive at the start of third grade and replaced with a robot facsimile. That year, I was a Stepford Child!

Whew, good thing I escaped, no?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Linking up this week with Mama Kat for the prompt:

5. Throwback Thursday: Share a childhood photo of yourself and let it inspire a blog post

6 comments:

Linda Sue said...

OMG what a darling! You should draw this perfect child- a large portrait!
This is one little girl face that could sell anything- I would buy whatever- Toilet paper, cookies, a car- she has so much appeal!You had to be everyone's favorite! You are mine.

Chatty Crone said...

I think you were and are beautiful. Look at those gorgeous eyes. So sweet.

Jeanette said...

What a cute little girl you were! My school pictures are awful! I'm impressed you remember your grade schoolteachers names! I remember a Mrs. Fox and a Mrs. Green but I couldn't tell you what grades they were!

Allstarme79 said...

LOL I have lapses in memory like that but I TOTALLY remember my third grade teacher, Miss Gabano, because she was tall and had a really wide butt and I don't know why I remember that but it stood out to me.

Patty said...

I know that, somewhere, I still have those ponytail holders from my girls. The damn things were deemed a "nuisance" by the nun who was the school principal at that time because the girls would make clicking noises with them during class...and distractions, of any type, weren't tolerated.

In any event, I love your school photo, Abby. But, I can remember my 3rd grade teacher's name...it was Mrs. Niles. So, I have that going for me...

KatBouska said...

You were a CUTIE PIE! The line about cultural appropriation made me laugh. You definitely embody the 1970s!