Pages

Sunday, March 5, 2023

happy about sad

We've made it to March, congratulations, everyone.

Re-org things have become more prevalent at work - naming of new VPs and Deans. I'm too far removed from that level to pay much attention. 

The managers in my organization, which is disbanding and morphing into something else, had their last staff meeting this past week. Assistant Boss said they closed the meeting with going around the room and asking everyone to share something they're sad about the re-org and something they're excited about. 

Assistant Boss's contribution: "I'm sad that Boss is leaving. I'm excited... that boss is leaving!"

Yup, we all agreed with that sentiment! As I've said, Boss is a good person to work FOR, but annoying to work WITH. He's been told that he will move to his new digs on April 1st. Woe to the fools at his new location.

Speaking of reorganizing, I caught a bit of a tidy bug this week. Actually, I think I have a somewhat chronic condition, but I had a little tidying flare up and did some rearranging and purging of kitchen items. 

This was brought on by this week's mousecapades. We became aware of a mouse raiding a part of the pantry where we keep a few snacks. We'd occasionally hear it scratching around, plus the animals were all honed in on the location.

Magnum set a trap, but the silly mouse didn't get the memo on how to use it. Instead of snapping its neck in the thing and dying instantly, it somehow managed to catch its tail while remaining very much alive and anguished.

We opened the cabinet door while the great hunter Napolion, the cat, was nearby and highly interested. He seemed to take one look at this mouse/ trap hybrid, and say "Whoa, that's just creepy! NO thanks!"  I've since rearranged things to make the snacks, hopefully, less accessible to local rodentia.

Magnum trapped the unhappy combo in a plastic container and put it out back in the brick pile while we contemplated how to end the torture. In the end, our visitor froze to death. I've heard that hypothermia is quite peaceful toward the "end". After the awfulness that comes prior, I suppose. *SIGH*

This morning, I ran this month's Tortoise & Hare race with the running club, a 10k (6.2 miles). 


It was a nice sunny morning for it, temps in the 30s, no icy patches on the course. My NASA shirt didn't give me the rocket boost I'd hoped for as my pace is still notably slower since my bout of dang covid last summer.

I'm not sure if it's my heart rate or my lung capacity that's the issue, or something else entirely. I've never really paid attention to these things in the past, just running for fun. But I stayed alive until the end, strangely smiling in race photos. 

Note: there's a fine line between a smile and a grimace.


7 comments:

Linda Sue said...

I am sad about mouse.
I am happy that you can run!

Abby said...

Linda Sue, seconded 🙂

John Holton said...

I foret just how many reorgs I went through. My biggest question was always "who gets my timesheet?"

Jeanette said...

That's too bad about the mouse. I hope it didn't suffer too much! That looks like a smile on your face to me!

Abby said...

John, that really is the only question.

Jeanette, I think I was actually smiling. It was the homestretch to the finish line.

Chatty Crone said...

I don't hurt anything outside - but I don't like critters in my house!
Good job on the running - I hope you start to get over Covid side affects.

Abby said...

Chatty, my thoughts exactly about critters in the house. Mice are kind of cute when they're not in the kitchen.