Pages

Sunday, January 8, 2023

ice and eggs

It feels like life returned to somewhat normalcy this week - back to work and all that. I'm not really used to these long breaks that the education world gets. Teachers have nearly a whole month off.

So it was a nice break and it's good to be back. There are changes afoot now that Boss has that promotion in hand. I don't anticipate sweeping changes other than us hourlies getting a break from having Boss around all the time.  

In other news, bought eggs lately? I picked up an 18-pack recently for a whopping $8.50. Inflation plus the deadliest avian flu outbreak ever really drove prices up. 

I came across this article that summarized inflation for November '22.  Eggs for the win! And I'd guess that percentage is even higher now.  Chicken eggs: the new caviar?

I find it interesting that "stationery supplies + gift wrap" gets it's own line. Are they that big a player? 

And I learned that Avian flu doesn't affect chicken prices as much as egg prices. They come from totally different "factories". In this case, it's better to be a "broiler" than a "layer". Who knew?

Same, Joe. Same.

To offset my fondness for eggs, I suppose it's nice to see major appliances in the negative - if ever so slightly - since this was our year of appliance makeover. 

The first full week of 2023 is in the books. It's crusty icy around here, I miss riding my bikes. But really, so far, so good.



6 comments:

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

I eat a lot of eggs. I saw that price and about died. Going to the grocery store is crazy right now. We thought the farmer we bought eggs from was high but now he is the lower of the two!

John Holton said...

Inflation is terrible now, and a lot of it probably has to do with Supply chain issues.

Chatty Crone said...

Seven dollars at WalMart - can't afford eggs right now.

Abby said...

Peggy, I'm also an egg lover. I know people who keep chickens for their own eggs. Doesn't seem like such a bad idea these days.

John, yep, supply chain, chip shortages, staff shortages... The chip shortage has improved, which helps explain the appliance price decreases.

Chatty, eggs are now a "luxury" item. Hopeful that the price will come down in first quarter 2023.

Linda Sue said...

Dennis buys eggs from costco. They have limited the amount of eggs per person. Dennis does KETO to control blood sugar. He eats many eggs. But, no one is starving in this house really, Eggs have been cheap for a very long time so....no complaints. Buying eggs even at such a grand price is cheaper than having chickens for laying. Cheaper and way more easy. It is like gas- cheap at any price, I reckon.

Abby said...

Linda Sue, I know a few chicken keepers. They do it as a hobby, certainly not because it's cheap and easy.