Pages

Saturday, November 12, 2022

take your time

"Whew! I made it just in time!", she breathily declared

"There was never a doubt in my mind", I sleepily replied. But in all honesty, since about 3 minutes prior, I was kinda wondering.

I was scheduled to work this morning. We all have pretty regular Monday through Friday schedules, and Boss rotates us on Saturdays, when only two people work. As a testing center, we must have at least two people in place or we can't operate. It's never been an issue for as long as I've been there until recently.

Phi, my coworker this morning, has been showing up late with concerning frequency. Like two to two-and-a-half hours late. Our part-time shifts are typically 5 hours, so showing up over two hours late is quite noticeable.

She'd told boss that she wanted to work every Saturday in addition to her couple of weekly shifts, and that was fine until she got the case of the latelies. Push came to shove, and Boss told her no more Saturdays, we can't risk not being able to open. Today would be her last Saturday, and if that were to go belly up, her employment status would be on thin ice.

I like Phi. She has a full-time 2nd shift job, plus she teaches one class at the college. She's a newish addition to our team, and to me, she seems very responsible. The late shows seem out of character, but there they are. Plenty of them. She's told me she "likes to keep busy", hence her asking for every Saturday.

Anyway, I was happy she showed up (we had a plan B in place in case she didn't). I like her and I enjoy working with her. We had a rip roaring Saturday of invigilating. I really hope she keeps her act clean, and maybe she'll get some, if not all, Saturdays back.

Some other coworkers don't like Saturday duty - treat it like a school kid having to show up for punishing "Saturday School". They were happy when Phi asked for all of them, spreading out the rotation for the rest of us. 

I don't mind working Saturdays. First, it's a short shift - we're only open 4 hours, and I don't tutor on Saturdays. Second, campus is quiet, the morning commute is nearly traffic-free, the phone hardly rings, the work is steady but not overwhelming. Since I don't have kids' events to attend on Saturdays any more, and I don't have a habit of partying hard on Fridays, what's not to like?

So Phi lives to work another day.



Meanwhile, speaking of my life in the slow lane, how is it that cats know just where to quietly sit to be most intrusive?


All, "I'm just quietly sitting, what's the problem?"


Napolion, recently working on some "Catculus". 






3 comments:

betty said...

Napoleon just wants to get a little more smart, right? That would be frustrating if a coworker was late consistently. Does sound a bit out of character for her from what you said, so I hope whatever it was that was causing her to be late she was able to "fix." I had to work Saturdays for about 2 years when I was doing medical transcription. When I got fired, after the initial shock, the first thought that came to me was "no more Saturdays!" I like the traditional work week but it was nice having a day off during the week to get things done :)

betty

Linda Sue said...

great cat! I love your cat! I had one that non-color, her name was Plum because I can't tell grey from purple apparently.
Napolion, clever ...

Abby said...

Betty, I used to work every Saturday at the nursing home, so a short Saturday shift every few weeks is no biggie. I do like having days off during the week too.

Linda Sue, yes, plum! We used to have a van of this color. Some commented that it would be an "ideal" pedophile van, because who could explain the color to the cops? I did eventually learn (from a body shop tech... after an unfortunate incident... with a deer) that its color was plum!
Napolion came to us with name attached. It suits him, the little emperor.