Pages

Sunday, August 7, 2022

weekend wrap and stuff

Mid August approaches - tutor kids going back to school, college kids moving back into town. The end-of-summer flux is upon us. I'm thankful that Meego has completed his move from the college rental to the post-college rental. U-hauls and such in this college town are extremely hard to come by this time of year.

We got together with all the kids last weekend for a little celebration of Wolfgang's birthday. It was the first time the whole brood's been together since Meego's graduation in May.  Part of that is because of the family's COVID infiltration, and part is because of fun trips and such.  Peaks and valleys, all good in the end.



In other accomplishments this week, I put new tires and new handlebar tape on Violet. Ain't she pretty?


The tires were no big deal, but I've actually never changed bar tape before and was honestly a little anxious about mucking it up. 


I decided I'd procrastinated long enough as the old tape was getting yuckier by the week.


Turns out, it's not rocket science.




And since I brought up the bicycle accessorizing, I'll give mention to the "nice rack" I got for Daisy, the commuter. 


My minimalistic ways make me reluctant to have a bunch of packs and racks and hacks hanging off my bicycles, but I had to admit that a simple cargo rack could be handy.


So now, Daisy's got back




Magnum and I recently finished a 3-season series on Hulu: Mr Inbetween. Seen it? I thought it very well done. It's violent, though. And often dark. But also heartfelt and funny. 

We watched the movie, Faults on Amazon prime video this weekend - also worthwhile IMHO and a bit twisty trippy. 

Then we watched Everything Beautiful is Far Away, which gets a "nope" from me. I think it was supposed to be whimsical and show the importance of human relationships, but to me, it felt like a show for little kids... by little kids. Admittedly, I did nod off a few times while watching, but I think I got the gist of it, and my review stands. 

And so another week ends as another begins. I have not heard anything further regarding the hoaxy emailer that stirred up all that trouble for area colleges on Friday. Hopefully the semester will start off mellow and stay that way.



6 comments:

Linda Sue said...

Geez, school thoughts already! I guess one week of summer is good enough...gone are the days when we had three full months of summertime, school did not start until September 6.

Your bikes are glad!

Thanks for the recommendations to watch stuff- i just watched some predictable British thing and ,for fun, Reservation Dogs. Not disappointed!

Abby said...

Linda Sue, back in my day *old-people-speak* school didn't start until after Labor Day, and we had to walk 5 miles uphill both ways.
I've often found that predictable British things are more entertaining than predictable Hollywood things. Reservation Dogs - good stuff!

betty said...

Violet is looking very nice!! Getting together with family is always great! Glad everyone was healthy enough and able to attend Wolfgang's birthday celebration! I don't have Hulu so I haven't caught that series, but might check out the movie on Prime. I am binge watching Wentworth on Netflix (did I mention this already). It is dark and really nasty but it sure makes the workday go by faster! I hope the hoaxer was a one time wonder and no further actions are done on their part!

betty

Linda Sue said...

Just watched "Faults"- hahahaha that was fun! Thank you!

Jeanette said...

The first two movies sound interesting! I'll have to check them out! Thanks!

Abby said...

Betty, I remember watching Wentworth - I thought it better than Orange is the New Black.

Linda Sui, TOO fun!

Jeanette, I appreciate good movies. There are a lot of bad ones out there!