Pages

Saturday, August 6, 2022

test anxiety

I was scheduled to be at work this morning, but that's not to be. The campus is closed as a result of a "threat" that came down yesterday. 

I went in to work yesterday morning, approached the door to my building, and *ca-chunk* - door was locked. Slightly confused, I walked around to a different entrance, and *ca-chunk* - same result. I stood there pondering for a second, in my head thinking, 

"slacker security hasn't unlocked the doors yet??"

As I was thinking this, Margaret, head of security, came roaring around the corner atop her ATV. 

"The campus is on lockout because of a threat in the area. I'll let you in, but you can't leave the building until we get the all clear, which has not yet come in"

Okay, now that was more like the campus security I know and love. Naturally, she gave no other details.

My boss was already inside, and shortly after my arrival, my two coworkers followed. Nobody knew anything, it was a strange situation all morning. Security told us that no students were allowed in, but most of the people we serve are not students. Boss went to the front doors to play bouncer, and we got all of our morning non-students in while making calls to students with appointments regarding the need to reschedule. 

Honestly, I expected the whole thing to be resolved during morning hours, but instead, security announced that everything was shutting down at noon, plus we'd be closed on Saturday. Boss's boss came around to tell us the need to clear out by noon, and we're all, "But we have people here in the middle of tests (that they paid good money for, and prepared for, etc. etc.)"

So my two coworkers, Kat and Sangria, left.  Meanwhile, Boss and I stuck around, making tedious phone calls and clipping loose ends as the last tester finished.

This alert was posted at the top of the college website:



We chuckled a bit at the juxtaposition of "Fall 2022 Registration Now Open!" Uhm...

Anyway, according to follow-up reports, it was a hoax? Someone sent a threatening email to the college using someone else's email account and name - "doxxing", I learned a new word. Stupid prank?

Police found and spoke with the owner of the email, who didn't know anything about anything, as far as we know. 

Okay, so I want to know, who is the idiot who actually sent the email?

Oh, and did I mention? Fall Registration is Now Open!



5 comments:

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Abby, can't that email be traced? Boy what people do with too much time on their hands. Sorry you had to go through this but thankful it was a hoax!

John Holton said...

They used to phone them in. Ah, the old days....

That's a pretty nasty trick, using someone else's email to send the threat. I hope they catch whoever it was...

Abby said...

Peggy, I haven't heard anything about efforts to find the person who actually sent the email. If it was made from a public computer - like a library or such - it could be difficult to find the nitwit.

John, ah yes, I remember the days before caller ID!

betty said...

But if you were scheduled to work and didn't get to work, did they still pay you, hoax or not?

betty

Abby said...

Betty, the answer is "no". I'm a part-time, hourly employee so get paid for when I'm actually there. I say the nincompoop owes me 8 hours pay - 3 from Friday and 5 from Saturday 🤨