Pages

Sunday, July 24, 2022

ain't seen nothing yet until you're downtown

Another week down, let's reflect.

At last check in, I hadn't lost my car, was reunited with my water bottle, and acquired a free scab calculator. Not a bad week by my standards.

Yesterday, I pulled a volunteer shift at the annual Lego Creation Festival downtown. This new PEO chapter I transferred into had agreed to fill certain volunteer spots, and in return, we'd get a nice donation for our philanthropies. One of the women in my group is married to someone who has something to do with planning and running the festival, so there we were. 

one of the views from my
Lego Fest office


There were still a couple of slots open, so I blindly put my name in one. I pulled duty at the "art tent".

It was quite an easy assignment. There were Lego themed pages to color along with an assortment of markers, crayons, and scissors.

Once we got the little artists set up with their supplies, they were in the zone and not wanting to be bothered. Can't say as I blame them.




It was a very good turnout, lots of families getting their Lego on. Kinda put my faith back into humanity for a while to be around all these nice, well-behaved kids with doting parents. Neglectful, abusive parents and their traumatized kids don't attend Lego Festivals, so my view was skewed toward wholesomeness.

About an hour into our 2-hour shift, dark clouds moved in - nice to cool things down a bit. Then the rain came, another welcome guest. Then lightning, not so welcome. We were all directed to clear out until the storm moved out, and the delay was about 45 minutes. Activities resumed afterward, but the agenda had fallen behind, and my 2-hour shift turned into 3. Quite a long time to be in a Lego Fest art tent, but not horrible.

When my co-volunteer and I returned to the tent after the delay, we found an adult passing through on an e-bike had used the art tent as his shelter from the storm and was happily coloring a Lego man rendition. He eventually was overtaken by little humans and motored off into the sunset. 


10 comments:

Linda Sue said...

Generous of you to volunteer! You lucked out having the art tent and children happily , silently, coloring. That is just swell! My mother's PEO group never did any outreach like that, far as I can tell , they only had meetings and kicked everyone out of the house because - secret...I thought that surely they were up to no good!

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

That sight would make me feel good about humanity.

LL Cool Joe said...

"We found an adult passing through on an e-bike had used the art tent as his shelter from the storm and was happily coloring a Lego man rendition". That's not a sentence I thought I'd ever read, and I doubt I ever will again. Did he take his picture with him?

3 hours at a lego fest would be about 2 hours 45 minutes too long for me. :D

betty said...

That would have been so fun to go to! I would have taken my kids in a heartbeat as I always looked for activities like this! I used to love coloring with them too! It is always fun to volunteer at something like this. A good opportunity to do something good and to people watch :) WTG Abby!

betty

Abby said...

Linda Sue, I have similar memories of my mom's PEO, but they did outreachy stuff too. Half my motivation to join when they asked me was to find out the secrets!

Peggy, turn off the news, go to a Lego Fest. Good therapy.

Abby said...

LL Cool Joe, Ha! E-bike guy left his picture in the tent. I was careful to screen it, and he did a nice job. Didn't add a penis or anything...

Betty, it was nice to see events like this happening. Definitely the stuff we did with our kids at that age too. Very positive vibes 😊

BootsandBraids said...

Guy on the e-bike had the right idea. Did you get a photo of his drawing?

Abby said...

BootsandBraids, I did not get a photo of e-bike guy's drawing, just added it to the others on display in the tent. I agree he had the right idea!

Jeanette said...

That sounds like fun despite the storm. My grands would love this as they are Lego crazy!

Abby said...

Jeanette, all the kids looked like they were having a good time - and there were lots of them!