Pages

Sunday, June 26, 2022

rollercoaster, I don't say no

The good news: my house is relatively clean.

The bad news: because everybody has covid, so I've done a bit of cleaning.

Well, not quite everybody. I'm sitting here in my strange little island of misfit toys, symptomless.

It seems to have kicked off last Sunday when we got together for Father's Day. On Monday, I was at the vet's office with Merlin when Wolfgang texted us that he'd woken up with a sore throat and tested positive.

By Thursday morning, Magnum and Chaco were both on team covid as well. And Meego? Well, Meego hadn't joined us for Father's Day because he was already working on a case of the covid crud he'd acquired days earlier.

We had a good run, 2.5 years or so. I guess I'm personally still on the streak, but don't want to jinx it. Everyone is vaxxed and boosted, so it's probably not as bad as it could be. Like a nasty cold. I'm practicing "spousal distancing" as much as practical since I really don't want to have to miss work and/or pass it along to my coworkers.

It's already a lean ship as it is, with coworker Martha having just finished her last day before shuffling off to greener pastures in Mexico. Plus, Boss has diabetes, Assistant Boss's 80-something year old mom lives with him, and coworker Kat helps care for her 80-something year old grandma. 

Oh, and Merlin? Ear infection. Much better now, thanks.

Speaking of dogs and little surprises, I was out walking with Penny the other morning when she took up a sudden interest in something. I turned to see this teeny fawn that had been hunkered under some Aspens.


Penny wanted to make a friend, but the fawn wasn't big on the idea. She/he wasn't big on anything - such a tiny critter, smaller than little Penny. I didn't see Mom around, but crossed my fingers that she returned, and that's the story I'm keeping in my head.

On another little furry things note, we got an email at work last week that one of the buildings needed to be closed because of a refrigerator malfunction. We thought maybe toxic refrigerants had to be removed, thus prompting the closure.

Well... what actually happened was, a walk-in freezer, used by the vet tech program, stopped working, and everything inside thawed. "Everything" being animal cadavers. 

Ew migod.

No hazardous materials just a nasty nasty odor. I'm sorry for whomever made the initial discovery.  All better now.

...or getting there.



10 comments:

Linda Sue said...

ewwww Jeffrey Daumer fridge!!
Sorry your fam got the virus, everyone in our family ,under the age of what ever we are, got it as well. Probably due to the fact that they still have lives out there in the big germy world. Something we are going to be living with for as long as we continue to live... getting shorter by the minute!! The mother will come back for her baby as long as the baby does not run away.Not a good hiding place looks like.

Abby said...

Linda Sue, I thought the little fawn to be strangely exposed under those trees. Upon Penny's curiosity, it snuck off to a nearby bush - much better coverage, yay!

betty said...

Oh gosh with that fridge!! Thankful you weren't the one who discovered it! Covid visited our house earlier this month. I'm pretty sure I had it but I did not test. We were going to go away on a small trip so when hubby got sick he decided he better test to see if we needed to change our plans. Sure enough he was positive. I had it milder than him but I don't think it was because I was vaccinated and he wasn't. My brother in San Diego had it a week before we got it and he had a mild case (not vaccinated). My hubby just tends to get sicker with things than the average person does. He is still struggling with getting his strength and stamina back but improves a bit daily. We both lost our appetite (not sense of smell or taste) for a bit which resulted in a little weight loss, lol, that we know isn't sustainable. I'm pretty sure I picked it up from work as some people were out and then I passed it on to him on his birthday a few weeks back when I kissed him on the lips (we've been avoiding kissing because of sicknesses lol).

Cute little fawn. I hope mom did come back to get it.

Take care of yourself. Boost your vitamin C and zinc (but not taken together). I really think it is just a matter of time before everyone has it. We had dodged the bullet so to speak for the same length of time you had too! Several others got sick around the same time I did at work so that's why I'm pretty sure I got it from a coworker :(

betty

Abby said...

Betty, someday, I may venture to the cadaver building out of curiosity. Not anytime soon, though!
I'm glad your covid was mild. Strange how it affects people in such different ways. I figured we'd all get it eventually.

Morgan Cartwright said...

I hope everyone feels better soon.

I'm still on the Covid free streak ::knock on wood::, but my daughter had it in November. Nobody else in the house got it though.

Science fridges shouldn't be messed with (I know the one you described wasn't on purpose). A couple of summers ago, our schools Biomedical fridge got unplugged when they were painting....teacher comes back in and E-coli and other sorts of things that shouldn't be growing..were growing.

Abby said...

Morgan, you and me - covid holdouts!
Ick, I can imagine what was growing in the biomedical fridge. As I understand it, the vet tech freezer is an industrial walk-in like those in food service. I don't think much of the surroundings got contaminated because, apparently the cadavers are each kept in individual containers - Tupperware-ish *shivers*

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Eewww that cooler. That had to smell for a long time after it was cleaned out. Yuk.
The thing I worry about with covid is the long hauler stuff now. Everyone I know who's had it, young and old, have issues even today. Knock on wood we have not gotten it - yet. I realize it's a matter of time. I went out yesterday for the first time without a mask. It makes me feel very uncomfortable. I know I should have being I am immune-compromised right now but I didn't. And I'm so stupid I didn't even realize I didn't have it on until I got down aisle one and saw someone with a mask. Shit! I grabbed 2 things and checked out. I am a bit more fearful right now due to my situation. When will this end? I asked a doctor this at Duke and he said, "it won't" Gee that was encouraging.

Abby said...

Peggy, yep, I think that Duke doctor knows what's what. Add covid to the list of things we must deal with in this world.
Regarding the errant freezer, it was definitely the odor that caused the need for closure. Professionals were called in. I'm curious as to what all they had to do.

Jeanette said...

Oh no! I hope everyone is recovered or recovering quickly from Covid. Good that you didn't get it! I'm sure that little fawn found it's mom or mom found it! At least it went into trees for better coverage! Ew on the refrigerator! Yes, I don't envy the person who found it!

Abby said...

Jeanette, everyone is on the mend from covid, thanks. I have yet to visit the building of freezer revenge. No rush!