Pages

Sunday, February 6, 2022

trippy and trapped

We watched a couple of movies this weekend.  I liked them both... I think?  I mean, I think I liked them, but at the same time, I'm not quick to recommend either.  Explain.

First was Mayday, a story about... about... about.  Well, see there's the problem.  What did I just watch?


It's billed as "drama, fantasy, mystery".  I have since come up with a theory on what I watched, but this is one of those movies where it's never explicitly stated or shown just what. is. going. on.  Fantasy and dreamlike fer sher, it sort of reminded me of the lost boys in Peter Pan except it's girls.  

And the girls live on a U-boat.  With a bunch of guns and such.

I'm sure there are people who hated it, but it held my attention well enough because it had me thinking about what the meaning of it was.  It seemed rather drug-trippy, not that I've been on any drug trips personally, but what I imagine a drug trip might be like... which feeds my theory on what it was really about.  

I don't think it was necessarily a "man-hater" movie, although it certainly hints at it.  I think that would be reading too much into it.  

Mia Goth's portrayal of Marsha, the leader of this strange "army", was really good.  The other performances weren't anything to blog home about.  

I'll give Mayday  2 or 2.5 stars AT MOST out of 5.  ⭐⭐🟊🟊🟊.  I'll leave it at that so as to not spoil it for anyone who decides to check it out.  

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Next up was Unsane.  Whew! Whatta ride.  

Claire Foy plays a woman who is unwillingly admitted to a locked psychiatric institution.  The whole time I was watching, I was wondering, "is she truly 'crazy'?  Or is everyone around her trying to convince her she's 'crazy'?", and "Am I 'crazy'?"  



Like, Mayday, I wasn't sure what was real or imagined or... but at least all was (mostly) resolved by the end.  Psychological Thriller, yep.  I understand it's loosely based on true events, and it certainly got me wondering about what goes on at some psychiatric hospitals.  Yikes. 
Three stars ⭐⭐⭐★★ for Unsane. I'd like to give it more, but it gave me the creeps.

------------------------------------------------------------

For those looking for something weird, confusing, and/or disturbing to watch during these long winter nights, I'll say check these out.  And I'd be interested to know your thoughts.  Otherwise, feel free to skip 'em!




2 comments:

betty said...

Were the movies on Prime or Netflix? I hadn't heard of either of them. We don't watch many movies these days so I'm not sure my hubby has even heard of them. If I do happen to catch them sometime down the road, I will let you know my thoughts about them :) They do sound not like my "usual cup of tea" on what I watch though. But hubby does like the different at times, so who knows?

betty

Abby said...

Betty, both of these movies were on Hulu. I'd never heard of either of them, but they showed up as suggestions, so we gave them a try.

Magnum didn't like "Mayday", but he liked "Unsane".