Pages

Thursday, February 10, 2022

a little bit of everything all of the time

I was sitting between two others on the bench seat of a pickup, holding on to a couple of "forties".  I don't remember who the driver was or who had the window seat.  I was 15 or 16 years old, and the three of us had gone on a booze run from a party we'd been attending.  Who bought the booze?  Why forties?

Those questions didn't really matter to me at the time because I was thinking, "Wow, my first drunken high school party!!"  Yeah, I'd made the "big time" *snore*.

I recall that my first real "ex" was also at that party.  He'd been a bigtime crush - sent my heart all a-flutter just at the site of him.  He drove a Pontiac Thunderbird - the only one like it in town - and whenever I saw that car, I became a big noodle, knowing he was in there.

Earlier that school year, I'd gathered all of my nerves and asked  him to go to the Homecoming dance with me.  OMG, what was I thinking?! I was a sophomore, he'd been a senior the year I was in 8th grade!

But I'd crushed on him big time, and it worked.  I actually called him from a payphone to ask him out because this was LONG before cell phones, and I didn't want anyone in my house overhearing the momentous call.  

We went to Homecoming and were together for a while.  It eventually fizzled the way these things do, so then I had an ex!  AND I was at a drunken high school party!!  Woo hoo, look at me checkin' all the boxes!

Thankfully, while I attended that party and many more to follow, I was never a big drinker - or smoker for that matter.  In the low-income small town where I grew up, "drugs for the rich" weren't much of a problem as far as I knew.  Alcohol and weed were about it.

Oh sure, I underwent that rite of passage, but in the end, I got over the "let's get shitfaced!" mentality pretty quickly.  That served me well later in college as I'd already gotten my party days out of me for the most part.  I was too broke to party much in college, plus I needed to do my homework.

College was where I met the equally not-into-getting-shitfaced Magnum, who eventually asked me to marry him.  Admittedly, I think we both were a little tipsy at the impromptu proposal.

There are so called "healthy" addictions too.  I've sometimes wondered if I'm addicted to running since I've enjoyed running for as long as I can remember.  Times when I couldn't run - e.g. injuries and pregnancies - I would sometimes have dreams about running, then wake up and be all, "ah, bummer".

Or people will ask what I'm training for, and I'm, "Nothing.  It's just for fun".  But I'm sure I'm not addicted.  Pretty sure.

For January of this year, a local running store created a challenge on the running app I use: walk or run at least one mile a day for 15 days in January to be entered in a drawing for a free pair of shoes.  I signed up, mainly to support the store but not expecting to win anything.  January came to a close.




This morning, I decided to see what was what with that challenge.


Lo and behold.


My name?  Listed as the winner?


I thought maybe the app was glitching.


But nope, apparently it's legit.


New shooz for me!


Not only do I get freebie shoes, but everyone who participated gets a 15% discount in February.


What a nice thing for that store to do.  These COVID times, businesses are hurting. 






And I thought I'd link up with Mama Kat this week, but it was a tough decision regarding which prompt to write about!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1. Tell us about something you are “addicted” to.
2. Write about your proposal.
3. Tell us about a crush you had in high school.
4. Write a blog post inspired by the word: party
5. Share a blog post about a tough decision.
6. Tell us about the last nice thing somebody did for you

9 comments:

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Abby Congrats on the new shows and winning!
I wish I had done that crazy shit in high school. I was lame. But my 20s made up for the stupidity of getting drunk and all that. My 20s were stupid to the max. Why I did it I don't know but it did lead me to not doing that shit again. :-)

Abby said...

Peg, maybe most of us need to get the boozing and such out of our systems. I guess I just wanted to "retire early". By the time I was legal, I hardly cared.

Linda Sue said...

All boxes ticked, Well done YOU! Your "addiction" is like being addicted to life so , I would say it does not qualify, unless you are compelled to run all day every day until you are a skeleton wearing new shooz. High school was a total good boring lame girl thing for me- then i went to Uni...uh oh.

Abby said...

Linda Sue, you'll have to tell us more about your years at Uni... if you can remember them!

John Holton said...

Nice job of checking all the boxes!

Abby said...

John, it's difficult to choose some weeks, amiright? I did it while freshly caffeinated - my true addiction.

betty said...

I think you covered all six prompts! Congrats on winning the challenge! My brother partied a lot in high school. Those were the days before they really checked IDs for buying beer. He had long hair and a beard and could pass for 21 on a good day (maybe). Luckily he survived those times :)

My addiction currently seems to be chocolate. Got to curb that a bit :)

Happy weekend!

betty

Abby said...

Betty, chocolate seems to be a common addiction, you're not alone :)
And yeah, back then, I don't think liquor store owners were very stringent about the rules. I recall buying booze while wearing HS letter jackets with our graduation year fully visible!

KatBouska said...

Wow! I'm pretty sure the shoes make you a PROFESSIONAL RUNNER. Addictive runners certainly don't get paid in shoes.

And I would have loved to be chillin with those 40s with you in that back of that truck. That definitely sounds like something me and my friends would have been up to as well!