Pages

Wednesday, February 2, 2022

since we've no place to go

Firstly, an update.  My friend's son, Jack - the runaway from my previous post - is back home.  I don't know how/where he was located or what caused  him to high-tail it in the first place, but bottom line, Jack's back.

His mom updated her facebook yesterday, grateful for all the support and help during their "nightmare week" and acknowledged needing time to process.  She's obviously relieved, and I'm relieved for her.  

Today is Groundhog day and also a snow day for much of the state.  School districts announced closures by early afternoon yesterday.  The university and college where I work followed a few hours later. We shoveled about a foot this morning, and it's still lightly snowing.  But it's fluffy stuff, not a back-breaking, heart-attack-inducing heavy spring stuff.  Gentle and rather pretty, really.

While our driveway is clear, I wouldn't be able to get much further in the car, however.  I could make it to the street where I would surely bottom out.  I might go out for an adventure trek to see how the main roads are looking.  

---------------------------------

Okay, I ventured out.  Magnum tagged along to get outta the house too.  Not much more snow has fallen since this morning.


I meant for him to get the evergreen trees with their lovely flocking at this spot.  Instead, he mainly got the convenience store, but okay.  Trust me on the trees.

At this point I noticed there is hula hooping for the next 1000 feet?


I'd mainly wanted to venture out to see how clear the sidewalks are.  Back to work tomorrow and I typically walk since it's under two miles.  City crews are really good at cleaning the bike paths, but as luck would have it, my bicycling route to work is all residential streets and bike lanes on the main roads - the most neglected when it snows.  But I enjoy the walk, so it's nice that work is so close by.

And thankfully, looks like the snow blowers did their thing on the main sidewalk I take to and from work.

Speaking of clearing paths, our snow shoveling includes taking to the yard so the dogs can romp and do their biz.  Penny in particular would get swallowed up in this foot of fluff.

Stay warm!



4 comments:

betty said...

Cute dogs! We used to have to shovel out a little section of our backyard when we lived in Montana for our first corgi so he could take care of his business. He would be like Penny, get lost in there with his short little legs. So glad Jack got home safely. As a mom, I breathed a sigh of relief reading that. LOL with the hula hoop on the sign. Obviously a bit of graffiti? So pretty to look at with the snow but you can go ahead and keep it :) Just stay safe, especially when walking to work!

betty

Abby said...

Betty, we used to have a Corgi next door neighbor. Definitely a low-crawler! Arizona is very appealing to me right now :)

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

The hula hoop sign cracked me up. whatever does that mean? And don't say hula hooping!
I'm glad to hear Jack is back.
I too prefer to shovel lift light snow vs wet snow. Growing up on Lake Erie we had a lot of wet heavy snows. Your dogs are so cute. My dog loves to just lay in the snow - for hours. This move will kill her come summer time. Hence we need to keep her swimming. 😀

Abby said...

Peggy, I have no idea the hula hooping 😆
The dogs like to run around in the snow for a while but also like to lay around on the couch inside on days like this.