Pages

Sunday, January 30, 2022

where in the world

January 2022 is nearly in the rear view mirror, meaning we're that much closer to spring.  We got more snow and ice this week, but nothing like what the northeast got, so I'm not complaining!

I got these bug-eyed goggles to keep my face warm for bicycle riding during cold weather.  I've tried other solutions, including just freezing my face off, and finally gave in to the bug eyes.  They work. 

I think they're mainly meant for night skiing, but plenty of winter bicycle commuters sung their praises, so here we are... not that I've worn them for actual bicycling because there's currently too much snow and ice around for my taste.

But I do appreciate the tips and discussions from the commuter group I follow on facebook.  I know others like me who have facebook accounts they rarely update, but they keep them around for the groups.  And Marketplace.

So while I don't update my own facebook page, I do "check in" somewhat regularly.

On Friday, I learned via facebook that the oldest son of a friend of mine is missing.  Apparently, he "ran away".  Click [HERE] in the off chance it helps to find him.  

This is surprising to me since I've known the family to be very close, no issues with either of their two sons.  Jack is the oldest, and I met his mom through volunteering at the elementary school.  We had a couple of years of overlapping volunteer momming there as Jack is four years younger than Meego, our youngest.

The family also lived just around the corner from us when we lived in Colorado Springs.  Although I didn't know Jack much in recent years, when he was younger, he always struck me as a "good kid" - mature for his age, thoughtful, and responsible.  

I have no idea what precipitated his leaving and it's difficult to even fathom.  There've been no updates, although many shares on facebook.  I'm hoping he just needed some alone time to stew and will be in touch soon.  Or maybe social media will come through and lead to a reconciliation.

I might bash social media sometimes - the narcissism and false celebrity side of it.  But it's not all bad.



6 comments:

betty said...

I agree with you about social media. It isn't all bad. I hope they are able to find that young man. I'm also hoping he is not on his way down to Tijuana if he was heading down to the San Diego area. My SIL's sister's son was missing for a bit (she had posted it on Facebook) and then a few days later she posted he was fine and to respect their privacy with what had happened. Never heard what happened, but it was a happy ending. Hope your friend has such a one with their son! As a parent, as you know, I'd be worried sick!

Whatever helps in commuting in the snow would be a good thing, including those googles! I think a worthwhile investment!

betty

Linda Sue said...

Jack probably headed off to
San Diego, fed up with winter and covid . I also have that urge!
Of course the parents must be in misery no knowing or hearing from him and that is just awful. Nothing more frightening than not knowing.

I like your goggles, and face mask- You are well protected- invisible, covid will never find you.

Abby said...

Betty, one report said he'd recently purchased a nat'l parks pass, so maybe he's camping somewhere in CA. Yep, hoping for another happy ending like your SIL's sister.
The goggles are so cozy 🥽!

Abby said...

Linda Sue, yep maybe just needed a little escape, but I wish he'd call his parents.

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

If I didn't die, my parents would have killed me upon my return.

Abby said...

Peggy, I know right?