Pages

Thursday, November 4, 2021

this is a test

"He stepped out of the office for a few minutes, is there something I can help  you with?"

One day at work, I was chatting with my loquacious boss.  He was telling me about things he looks for during interviews as he was in the process of hiring a new part-timer.

"Yeah, I have a series of questions, but there's really one main answer I'm interested in", he said. He continued, "You got it correct".

So I'm sitting there trying to remember his interview questions when he reveals, "It's where I ask what you would say if a patron comes in and asks to speak with the director".

I'd said that I would first ask if there was something I could help them with and take it from there.  So when I took a phone call yesterday, and the caller asked for my boss by name (strange since Boss has his own phone line), I told the caller that he'd stepped out (true, Boss was in the bathroom), and asked if I could help.

The man on the phone asked why his son was unable to take his test with us.  I won't bore with the details, but these tests are highly secure, and names on registrations for test takers must exactly match their identifying documents or we can't launch their exams.  As a testing center, we don't register people for tests, we just administer tests after they register and then make an appointment with us.  The man on the phone thought that making the appointment with us secured his son's ability to take the test.  


The guy was registered in his mother's name.  Apparently his mom registered for him and mistakenly?  oddly?  helicopterly?  submitted her name. Their names weren't even close - different last names even.  

We advised  him to contact the testing board to correct the name, and we would go from there.  I'll mention that the would-be tester is college age, and that registration instructions explicitly state the name requirements.


So the dad was calling to figure out what happened and what his son needed to do.  Reasonable enough.  The disturbing part of the phone call, for me, was that I could hear a woman on an absolute RANT in the background.  Omigosh.

Screaming over and over, "HE NEEDS TO TAKE THE TEST TO-DAY!"..."HE NEEDS TO TAKE THE TEST TO-DAY!"..."HE NEEDS TO TAKE THE TEST TO-DAY!"... at the seeming top of her lungs.

Since this was a  phone call, I couldn't see the woman's body language, but dang.  I seriously thought she was in need of fast-working medication.  Seriously.

To his credit, the man I was speaking with was relatively calm about the whole thing.  And to the woman's credit, I don't recall any swearing on her part, but dang.  

After briefly explaining the situation, I did take the message for Boss, and Boss called the man back a few minutes later explaining the same thing.  This went down mid-morning, and we'd not heard back nor seen the kid again by the time I left in the afternoon.  

Crap like this happens once in a while, although I've not ever seen someone registered in their mother's name try to take a test.  But minor misspellings, lost or expired IDs, etc. happen and are cleared up with relative ease.  

Her ranting in the background of that phone call was replaying in my head the rest of the day.  I am/was a bit concerned for her and for the son, who seemed like a nice enough kid.  

  • Why did she fill out the registration in her name?
  • Was she, in fact, losing it?
  • Why was the man so calm, like this is typical behavior?
  • Why didn't the kid come back?

Well, I hope everyone's okay.  He needs to take his test today?  Today is now yesterday.




7 comments:

Herb said...

When I worked cashing checks at the big blue box a person's name had to match exactly what the ID said. No junior or III on the ID but was on the check, etc., no-could-do. Maybe mom completely misunderstood what she was doing when she filled it out? Very weird.

John Holton said...

That must have been quite the experience. My question is, if the kid was college-aged, why is his mother filling out the paperwork for him?

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

maybe she was taking it for him? But if you are old enough for college you are old enough to fill out your own registration. Something seems amiss besides the moms medication.
And good S.A.T word in here. :-)

BootsandBraids said...

I've STILL got it. When your boss said "It's where I ask what you would say if a patron comes in and asks to speak with the director", I though to myself that I would make an excuse for him not being available at the moment and ask if there was something I could help them with. I've STILL got it, LOL.

Abby said...

Herb, yep, who knows. It's a pretty cut-and-dry registration process, but now that I've heard the mom...

John, that was my first question too.

Abby said...

Peggy, we have no idea why she submitted her name as the test taker. Her son showed up and gave us his ID. Turns out he was not, in fact, a boy named Katelyn. And sheesh, my boss can talk the ears off an entire room of people.

BootsandBraids, of course you've STILL got it :)

LL Cool Joe said...

Sounds like the mother is a complete control freak. I had one of those. The man was calm because he'd heard it all before and knew staying calm was the safest option.