Pages

Tuesday, September 7, 2021

oh, she's precious!

College football season is upon us.  I really don't follow college football, but I live in a college town, so it's difficult to not pick up on what's happening locally.  The university's season home opener was Friday, and it did not go well, so I've heard.

The CU Buffaloes - my alma mater - won their game ( GO BUFFS!) against... whoever they played.  I wasn't paying attention to that.

But what WAS on a lot of people's minds was the new CU mascot:  Ralphie VI.  Ralphie is a live buffalo that runs at the start of every CU home game and also the start of the second half,  It's rather exciting to watch - often more exciting than the actual football game for some *ahem*.

It's exciting because Ralphie is this huge mammal being controlled (loose term) by five handlers, or "Ralphie Runners", and directed by several others.  Being a Ralphie Runner is not for the weak, and one must try out and make the team.  

Here's a typical "Ralphie Run" for example.  Watch the runners.  Could you do it?:


The tradition's been going on for years, and there have been several Ralphies - Five to be exact.  Well, there is now a Ralphie VI, and she made her debut run on Saturday.

I didn't have a stake in the game at all, but I was curious to see how the newest Ralphie did.  Omigosh, she's so little!



I know there are some who don't like live animal mascots for college sports, but I understand that Ralphie is treated very well, like royalty almost.  

I can understand why.  

Hoping for many more years... and several more pounds... for Ralphie VI!  And football records?  

Yeah, whatever.


8 comments:

Herb said...

That is very cool, I don't think I knew about that. It looks to me like to be in Ralphie's Runners you'd have to be in better shape than the football team.

Abby said...

Herb, it's true! In fact, one year, the football coach was so impressed with the trailer (Ralphie Runner in the rear, who basically keeps her from running full speed ahead) that the coach recruited him for the football team!

betty said...

Even in my youth I don't think I could have been a Ralphie Runner :) They truly have to be in great shape! I do like the new Ralphie, but you are right, she is small!! I wonder how they pick the buffalo to have the honor of being Ralphie?

betty

Abby said...

Betty, good question. Not sure how the Ralphies are chosen. We forget how small the newbies are :)

Unknown said...

Yea I am one of those people who don't think live animals are mascots. Sadly I hate football as does my husband and we are surrounded by college football here in Raleigh. We need to at least learn the difference between Tar Heels vs Blue Devils.

Unknown said...

Abby, I am uncertain why I come up Unknown when I am signed in. It's Peg @ Straight up No Chaser.

Linda Sue said...

More validation- american football and mascots and the crowds and smoke bombs- NOPE!
At least Ralphie need not try to weather a Yellowstone winter.

Abby said...

Unknown Peggy :), I don't necessarily "hate" football, but it gets way too much attention IMHO.
And strangely, I get email notifications when "Unknown" you leaves a comment whereas I don't get such when you're in as yourself.

Linda Sue, I figure, if it weren't for sports, there'd be more fighting. But then, various forms of fighting are considered sports, so whacha gonna do?