Pages

Saturday, August 21, 2021

single and ready to mingle

Last weekend, I found myself in the midst of a bit of a frenzy.  I put the lovely Ariel, my commuter bicycle, up for sale on Marketplace.  Just about everyone and their grandmother wanted her.

The price I set was no loss leader, quite fair according to bicyclebluebook.comBut the lovely Ariel does clean up and photograph nicely...


...backdropped by the newly painted house, no less.

The point is, I sold her.  The woman who adopted her paid me full price online, sight unseen, then drove a nearly 5-hour round trip to pick her up and take her home.  I would never do such a thing, but to each her own.

But why would I sell such a lovely?  Well, her talents were being a bit wasted here.  Fort Collins is  a relatively flat city compared to the never ending uphills and downhills of Colorado Springs.  Ariel had 24 gear combinations.  I've used maybe 3 since we moved here.

Enter the delightful Daisy.  I mentioned a couple weeks ago? Daisy?  A new bicycle?


Simplicity at it's finest, Daisy has one gear.  One gear!  Her clan is also known as SS, or "single speed".  Count me in.  No suspension, no derailleurs or shifters.  Only minimalist unpretentiousness.  So lightweight and nimble!

I found her on Marketplace as well.  Her owner said he got her for his daughter, but she decided she wanted more gears after riding Daisy for about two miles.  Daisy was fresh from the womb, her tires still had all their flash.  



So Daisy has settled in while Ariel serendipitously made it back to the hills of Colorado Springs.  Daisy comes to and from work with me.

As of this week, we ride along with the school kids in the mornings on their way to the elementary and middle school along my route.

Wanna race?









4 comments:

Linda Sue said...

An easily understood bike is your Daisy! This town is all hills steep ones, I would never ride a bike here- I should move to your town. I like it there.
The commuter bike looks mighty against the new paint job. Beauty!

betty said...

Daisy would do well here where I live. Not a lot of hills and a lot of flat land to ride in. Glad you are enjoying her!

betty

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

I like Daisy's color.

Abby said...

Linda Sue, can't say that I miss the hills.

Betty, Daisy would be fine. I'd have to acclimate to the heat!

Peggy, simplicity in black and white :)