Pages

Sunday, August 29, 2021

I bet you think this song is about you

Yesterday at work, I was finishing up a woman's test administration.  As she stood waiting, she commented, "You have beautiful..."

And in that split second prior to her speaking the final word, I pondered what she could possibly be thinking.

Hair?  Eyes?  Skin?  Nails?  Voice?  Accent?  Mind?  Handwriting?  Style?

Also in that split second, the logical answer occurred to me as, "none of the above".

After all that micro pondering came the object of her affection:  "...veins".

Oh.  Yes.  Of course.  I get that sometimes, actually.  I get it from nurses, phlebotomists, paramedics, EMTs, etc.  

A nurse I worked with at the old folks home told me, "Ah, you'd be so easy to give an IV!"  One time, I went to donate blood, and the phlebotomist proclaimed, "Oooh, it's like Christmas!"

During yesterday's conversation, the tester nodded, "Yeah, I'm a paramedic".

So there it is, my seemingly most notable physical quality.  There are worse things, but truthfully, I'm a bit self conscious about my arm veins.  

I got comments on my veins from the nursing home residents, and a couple little old ladies once asked to touch them.  That was weird, but what the hell.  Similarly, there are worse requests from nursing home residents.


I don't know why my arm veins are the way they are.  I chalk it up to genetics plus age making my skin thinner.  

I'm not wishing for an IV, but I guess it's good to know it would be a relatively effortless procedure.  When I do have blood drawn, it's over almost before it starts.  

But still.  I'm ready for long-sleeve season.  


What's something about you that brings people to comment?  Are you happy with it?
(And Peggy, if you're reading this, I think I already know your answer 😊)




7 comments:

BootsandBraids said...

Before the pandemic, when my entire face was exposed to the public, I'd get compliments on my smile. Now I get compliments on my mask, LOL. I'm happy with either/or.

betty said...

Do you drink a lot of water? I do and I have great veins too. People do like drawing my blood. Conversely, my daughter didn't have great veins and was a hard draw.

I'm struggling here trying to think what people compliment me on, lol. If something does come to mind, I'll stop back by and write it in another comment :)

betty

Abby said...

BootsandBraids, mask compliments seem like the next best thing to smile compliments!

Betty, I do drink water throughout the day, so maybe? I mainly get the vein comments from people who routinely draw blood and/or put in IVs. I'm sure they appreciate you as well!

ShadowRun300 said...

Funny you’d be writing about this topic.. As i was typing on my computer in front of a co-worker today, I suddenly became self conscious about my hand veins. I don’t like them, but a guest once told me he could tell I was a runner because of my veins. My running has slowed dramatically in the last few years, but I suppose my veins haven’t realized it yet. Do you think yours are due to your athleticism?
Anyway, I so enjoy visiting here, and am happy to see you continue to write. I haven’t missed a beat, just rarely take the time to comment. Love to see that you’re getting good family time, good pet time, and good riding time. And especially happy to read about your new job change. Hope you find it just as fulfilling as I do mine. :)

Brian said...

As a former phlebotomist, I gotta say that yes - you have some great looking veins!

Abby said...

SR300, hey you! Thanks for chiming in! Sure, maybe the running's part of the vein explanation. I don't run quite as much as in the past, but T&H's are coming up, so maybe I'll check out other veins in attendance ;).
And yeah, liking the new job 👍. Glad yours is on the other side of lockdown, hope it stays that way!

Brian, ah, I did not know you are a former phlebotomist... with yet further confirmation of the vein thing!

LL Cool Joe said...

I've found as I age any compliment is nice, but I have noticed that they have changed from compliments about my looks to my car or clothes. Now I'm trying to find some veins on my arms. I feel a bit queasy..