Pages

Saturday, April 24, 2021

bugged


For the last couple of weeks, I've felt like a bug in a pupal stage.  Somewhat dormantly waiting for the next thing.  As I've mentioned, I decided to accept the assistant boss position at work, so I had to finish up the last of my grunt work and will start wearing the new hat this coming week.  

I drew Hopper from A Bug's Life while learning a bit about pupae.  For instance:

  • The chrysalis protects the caterpillar as it begins to turn itself into a liquid, soupy substance...
  • The fluid breaks down the old caterpillar body into cells...
  • Pupae are usually immobile and are largely defenseless...
  • In a few... pupal mating is an extreme form of reproductive strategy in which the adult male mates with a female pupa about to emerge, or with the newly moulted female; this is accompanied by other actions such as capping of the reproductive system of the female with the sphragis, denying access to other males, or by exuding an anti-aphrodisiac pheromone

That last thing, what the HELL?

Anyway, I am looking forward to the new role, the new schedule, the new paycheck.  

I'm also ready for warm sunny days. We had that two feet of snow storm a month or so ago.  Since then, there's been nice spring weather as well as more cold and snow.  Sunny and warm gets my vote!

On my afternoon commute earlier this week, I came across this pelican convention:


And now I know  you're wondering, "what is a group of pelicans called?"  Well, I learned there are many collective nouns including "brief", "pod", "pouch", "scoop" and "squadron".  So, dealer's choice?  

Maybe I'll go with "brief" since they are white and all hang out together like in the above pic, ala "tighty whities"? *SORRY*

Also this week, my new fake tooth arrived, and I'm ready to put it to use.  Turns out Penny the pooch did me a favor by trying to eat the previous fake tooth as this new one is much more comfortable.  The old one included a full mouthpiece that covered the roof of my mouth whereas this one just pops into the gap where it's needed, nothing else.  Thank you, Penny!

And I'm ready to  move away from masks and social distancing.  Our county lifted more restrictions recently for bars, restaurants, gyms and such.  Each of my family members has gotten their vaccines.  Magnum and Meego are scheduled for their second hits, and the rest of us have had both.  

Admittedly, it will feel a bit weird to gather and de-mask.  We're all still wearing masks at work. I started working there in September, it's how we recognize each other's faces.  But it's nice to see residents having family visits.  I'm ready.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Linking up this week with Mama Kat for the prompt:
3. Write a blog post inspired by the word: ready.



11 comments:

LL Cool Joe said...

A pod of pelicans sounds weird. :D

Here in the Uk even though people are vaccinated we are still being told to wear masks and socially distance.

Good luck with the new role, sounds good!

Linda Sue said...

Brief is hilarious I thought you might go for Squadron because it sounds important! Lucky you seeing them, What is a pelican doing in Colorado? Did they lose the sea? Icky about pupa liquifying and then reorganizing into a real bug! Even more icky is the male! Male shenanigans no matter where you go in this world, I guess.
I hope your new job is good for you! I am actually liking my wardrobe of masks- When I wear on with sunglasses and my hair down no body knows who the hell I am! It is like having an invisible cloak.
I like your bug!

Abby said...

LLC Joe, pelicans in a pod? in a pouch? Who comes up with these?
We are still supposed to wear masks in public. Restaurant and bar tables need to be at least 6 feet apart. But I have not seen a mask at my gym in months.

Linda Sue, I think these are the first Colorado pelicans I've seen and wondered the same thing. Do they know "there are bigger fish in the sea"? Although we had many a pelican in Utah for similar strangeness.
First, "My Sharona" revelations and now the pupae pedophiles!

Paula Kiger said...

I'm really glad the tooth situation worked out well

Abby said...

Paula, a silver lining fer sher.

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Abby, I was with someone who also had been vaccinated and we both were without masks and it felt odd and I admit it was almost scary. What this has done to my mind is really weird.

Patty said...

Congratulations on your new work hat!

In reading over some of the comments here, I have to admit that, like Linda Sue, I've also encompassed a helluva mask wardrobe. I mean, really...if we all have to put up with this virus nightmare...accessorize! I've even gone so far as to hang certain masks with my work outfits so I stay organized.

Seriously, as much as I make light of this, I'm just so damn ready to get through it. We all are. Over one year of hiding, avoiding, sanitizing and swab tests...enough!

Stay safe!

Tee said...

I kinda like "pelican brief." I remember the movie by the same name was pretty good.

Sounds like Penny did you a real favor in eating your previous fake tooth. Enjoy your new, more comfortable tooth!

I'm with you on the vote for warm and sunny. We've had a roller-coaster of weather here in MN over the past month, and a lot less sun than normal. I need me some more Vitamin D!

KatBouska said...

That has to feel really good to see residents with family again. I agree it's going to feel really odd being close to people with masks off again. I wonder how long before that's comfortable...

Abby said...

Peggy, we sometimes take our masks of at work (to eat or drink), and it does feel very WEIRD, and people look so different!

Patty, honestly, for outside of work, I bought a black mask because it goes with everything. And I've had so many swabs up my nose it hardly phases me, I'm wondering what to do with that skill in the aftermath?

Abby said...

Tee, this new little fake tooth was worth the crazy amount I paid compared to that first one. I don't know if I would survive emotionally in MN!

Kat, the young girls I work with are all about checking out the resident's grandsons! Everybody's happier :)