Pages

Sunday, February 21, 2021

bring the heat

Happy Sunday, y'all.  The start of my "weekend".

I'm happy to report that I've felt very little adverse effects from my second hit of the COVID vaccine.  Had some mild muscle soreness develop a little into the day after, but it was all gone by evening.  I'm actually glad I felt something, because otherwise I would have wondered if the thing was doing anything!

We were concerned at work because a number of us were scheduled to work the day after our shots, and we didn't know how each would respond.  For the most part, people felt mild "crappiness", but were able to work just fine.  Our boss was relieved as she'd struggled quite a bit the day after her second shot.

"I felt like butt", in her words

I did start receiving texts from one coworker early Friday morning, however:


So yeah, that particular coworker soldierly dragged herself in for about an hour and then went home to "vomit in peace" once we were able to establish coverage for her.  Any voodoo attempts apparently didn't work. 

I'm still fantasizing a getaway.  It doesn't even need to be a warm getaway, although that would be nice.  But I'd be happy with a trip to the mountains, maybe a sunny ski resort.  "Sunny" being the operative word.

Although I've spent most of my life in Colorado, I've not skied (I had to google to see if that's the correct spelling for past-tense of ski) a whole lot.  I didn't learn to ski until I was 19 and in college and actually got a P.E. credit for my efforts.  Then there were the university years when, who had money for lift tickets??

There was one season there when I wasn't a broke student and also had a boyfriend who liked to ski and take me along.  We would load up early on weekends and hit the slopes.  "Hit" being the operative word in my case.  But I was young and could easily bounce back, literally, from the many wipeouts.  

That was many years ago, and snowboarding wasn't a thing yet.  Now, I watch snowboarding and it looks like fun.  Back in the 70's, when skateboarding was in a heyday, we kids spent our days zipping around and I became relatively skilled myself.  I now have the front teeth crowns to show for it.  So I think I would have picked up snowboarding pretty easily.  Sometimes I'm tempted to give it a shot.  I wonder how it would feel all these years later?



Okay, then again, maybe I'll just count "survived my COVID vaccine" as this winter's physical accomplishment...


8 comments:

Chatty Crone said...

I got my second one on Tuesday and you have scared me to death!!! lol

Abby said...

Sandie, sorry! I'm sure you'll be fine! (said in the same tone that shot-giver gave me, and he was right)

Tee said...

So glad to hear you did well with your second shot. Too bad for your poor coworker!

I've skied (literally) a couple of times in my life and enjoyed it. I also always thought snowboarding looked like so much fun. When my kids were younger and the Wii hit the scene, we bought a snowboarding video game and I'll admit I played it a lot! But I also think at this point in my life, I'm probably just better off watching someone else do it. :-)

Abby said...

Tee, a Wii snowboard videogame is probably my limit.

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

I'm that person who did a face flop. :-) I think you should count surviving covid as your winter sport. Glad you had no side effects. I would just like my first shot.

Abby said...

Peggy, soon hopefully soon!

LL Cool Joe said...

I'm glad you've had your second shot. I'm waiting to hear when we might be getting our first jab. The sooner the better, as without the "Vaccination passport" I doubt we'll be allowed to travel anywhere for a long time.

Abby said...

Joey, little by little, right?