Pages

Friday, November 6, 2020

to the wolves

Welp, I guess it's happening.  A little sooner and more "formal" than I'd expected.

So my job at the care facility - the one I found after COVID took most of my other job away - has been going nicely.  I actually like it better than the previous job at the hospital plus the commute is way shorter. I've mentioned how a lot of the rest of our team is young.  Mostly young adults, and a few are still in high school.  Oh, the drama

I was a bit surprised at how young some were, but they are actually great with the residents.  In hindsight, I think that hiring such a young crew is partly by design.  I think the old people like having these "kids" around.

So that's what I walked into a couple of months ago.  There are a two other older ladies like myself, but the majority are quite young. Last week, our boss lady posted a notice for a Team Lead position, and for anyone interested to contact her.

I, for one, wasn't interested.  I still tute a few hours each week and didn't want additional hours. Coworker "Anna" told me she was gonna go for it, and I don't know about anyone else.  Earlier this week, I asked Anna if anything was happening with it.

"She said she's waiting to see who all is interested, and then she'll conduct interviews", Anna replied.  She quietly added, "I think she's waiting for you".

I told Anna about my disinterest and not wanting additional hours. She would be a good choice for the position.

A couple days went by, then I got a text from boss lady:  Are you interested in the lead position?

Again, the tuting... additonal hours... blah, blah, blah

"I"d consider not increasing your number of workdays", she volleyed.

Oh.  Well.  That changes things.

In short, looks like I will be the den mother I was starting to feel like anyway with just a few hours additional each week.  Except it's an actual position.  I only mentioned it to Anna, so she would learn from me before it's official and not from someone else.

SOURCE

Boss lady said she had me in mind from the get go, mentioning my "calm demeanor" and my "maturity" as well as prior experience.

Translation:  I'm old and don't do drama.



6 comments:

Linda Sue said...

Well, they are a lucky group of pups!! Good luck with the job , the lack of drama, the hours, the responsibility, oh my, sure you want to do this thing? Stay well, stay sane!

Chatty Crone said...

Best wishes - how nice!

Anonymous said...

IT'S A TRAP!
IT'S A TRAP!

Still, you should be flattered. You'll be a good mentor for a generation that could use some good ones.

Abby said...

Linda Sue, as a matter of fact, no. I'm not sure!

Sandie, thanks :)

Anonymous,
PROBABLY!
PROBABLY!
Minding the pups while caring for the aged. Could be... an adventure.

Morgan Cartwright said...

You will be great at this! Leading a no drama den!

Abby said...

Morgan, "no drama den". I like it. Maybe I'll post a sign to stop it before it starts!