Pages

Friday, October 2, 2020

when a stranger calls

The call came in at about the expected time.  The furnace technician I'd scheduled was on his way and would be at our house in about 15 minutes for an annual check and clean.  There was just one problem with his information:

there was already someone - who'd also said he was from the company I'd scheduled with - rummaging around in our furnacings.  The rummager had shown up about 30 minutes prior.  Who. Was. He. Really?  And just What. Was. He. Doing?

The most logical scenario was that he was an imposter.  He was not here to clean and inspect our furnace and heating system, but to knock us inhabitants out with toxic fumes or use such chemicals so to brainwash us.  There's a pandemic, there's a volatile upcoming election.  Of course he targeted us because of our influence in the community.  He'd obviously hacked into the heating maintenance schedule and usurped the true technician, now en route to our house.


I went to confront the fake technician, to find out who he truly was and who had sent him.  Naturally, he hit me with the noxious gas, and I was of no use to anyone.  I awoke in what felt like a couple of minutes, only to learn that six hours had passed and I had no recollection of what happened.  

Well... not really, of course.  Of course I just let the second guy know that someone was already here.  Scheduler made a mistake?  Then I drew a fish.

But I'm still wondering...

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Linking up this week with MamaKat for the prompt:
2. Write a blog post inspired by the word: fake



2 comments:

LL Cool Joe said...

Yes in circumstances like this it makes sense to draw a fish.

I think I would have let the second guy turn up too. Maybe they'd get the job done quicker?

Abby said...

LLC Joe, Hmmm, now I'm wondering what would've happened if I just let tech #2 show up?