Pages

Friday, September 25, 2020

in the hearts of others

 I was at work on Monday, and one lady resident wasn't feeling well.  I asked her what she'd like for lunch, and she apologetically said she didn't care for any.  Other than that, she seemed her usual friendly and talkative self.  

I mentioned to my coworker, young Mick, that Marilou didn't feel like having lunch, but maybe we could check a while later.  He seemed surprised.  He's known her longer than I have.  

"Hmm, she always looks forward to lunch.  I'll go see", he said an headed toward her room.

Young Mick was able to get her to order some lunch, good ol' young Mick.  But when her lunch was ready, alas, she turned it down when I brought it.  We kept it warm for her in hopes that she'd feel better in a bit.  Mick came back with it a second time.

"She said she didn't think she could keep it down"

Aw, well.  GI issues show up all the time.  She'll be back to it soon enough.

I went to work on Wednesday and learned that Marilou died Tuesday night.  This is the first death of a resident with whom I was familiar since I started working at the facility.  I'm just two weeks in, and I know it goes with the territory.  But Marilou?  There are others who seemed closer to death's door.

My coworkers were visibly shaken even though they've been through this sort of thing before.  They dried tears and carried on.  

I was thinking of young Mick.  I remember the thoughtful concerned look on his face when I'd told him Marilou didn't feel like having lunch and his determination to urge her to order something.  Mick had the day off on Wednesday, so he wouldn't know about Marilou until later.  

When I started this gig a couple of weeks ago, I had to focus on understanding the workflow, the logistics, the "system".  I was impressed at how well my coworkers knew the needs and quirks of so many residents.  Over time, the "system" has become more second nature to me and I've been able to get to know the residents and hope to soon be caught up with my coworkers' memory banks.

It was difficult to pass by Marilou's room on Wednesday, but I'll take it as a sign that I'm getting better at this job.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Linking up this week with Mama Kat for the prompt:
5. A blog post inspired by the word: better.



10 comments:

Chatty Crone said...

My niece works at a nursing home - you guys are heroes! Especially now when families can't visit.

Abby said...

Sandie, aw thanks. The "no visitors" rule is pretty sad. Our home is starting to allow up to one-hour visits outside if the weather is good.

Madamdreamweaver said...

aw, that's sad. And sudden.

Linda Sue said...

Dang, Abby, I guess it does go with the territory but DANG! If I ever do not feel like eating lunch i will call 911 stat!

Abby said...

MDW, Yep, she didn't seem like she'd be the next to go, but you just never know.

Linda Sue, you got that right!

LL Cool Joe said...

How sad. Not an easy job to do. The last time I went to visit my mum she was too sleepy for us to see her. They wheel her out onto the patio and we stand in the garden and talk. I haven't seen her for weeks and the weather has turned really cold too. Not sure how this will pan out.

Abby said...

LLC Joe, Same. The residents can meet with visitors outside at picnic tables, but no one other than staff and residents can be in the building. It works now, but once the weather changes...? Some have spouses who used to come and share every meal :(

Morgan Cartwright said...

How sad! I hope Mick took the news okay. It makes me happy to hear that they are loosening up on restrictions and allowing visitors. I can't imagine how hard it could be on some of the residents. I am glad they do have caring staff members who get to know them.

KatBouska said...

How awful! And gosh that seems so fast to go from I'm not hungry to passing away. I don't know if I could handle being on duty for a death. That would be so difficult to get through.

Abby said...

Kat, I'm learning it can happen so fast with the residents who are so frail to begin with. Some rally, some don't.