Pages

Thursday, July 30, 2020

what's cookin'?

"Will this be where I get canned?", I wondered as our staff meeting began.

We have monthly staff meetings for my little part-time hospital cafe job, but yesterday was the first one since mid-March.  We've been on reduced staffing because of COVID restrictions to our biz, and in fact, the job I was initially hired for has pretty much been eliminated.

One of my responsibilities, for instance, was preparing the salad bars for our cafe and for the doctor's lounge.  Yeah, salad bars.  Remember those?  No longer a thing.  I'm thinking salad bars won't be back anytime soon.

Instead of letting me go, however, the managers included me in the rotation of other essential workers where we do a little of everything as needed.  It's productive, I enjoy the variety, and it's nicely added to my value.  But management would certainly be justified in letting me go.

Instead, it was just a "normal" staff meeting.  In fact, I received high praise for my flexibility.  On the outside, I was a bit, "Aw, shucks", while keeping my real thoughts - "c'mon guys, this isn't rocket science" - to myself.  I do enjoy the place and like the people I work with, though, so I'm grateful they've kept me around.  That said, I'll soon be taking my voluntary 2-week furlough, another thing we've been rotating through.  

I'm glad I have my tutoring, which hasn't really slowed because of COVID.  If anything, there are more opportunities.  I asked one of my  high schoolers what her district's plan is for the upcoming school year.

"Two classes per day.  Three hours each.  Everyone wears a mask.  Temperatures will be taken every day upon arrival".

She attends a pretty large school.  Taking everyone's temperature every day? That will be time consuming.  

Three-hour classes?  I'm trying to imagine studying one subject for three hours straight.  That sounds like a real challenge for the teachers - planning 3-hour lessons and keeping the class engaged.  More power to 'em.

In the meantime, this virus has taught me a few things.  I now know a little about how viruses work and herd immunity in addition to expanding my culinary skills.


And speaking of culinary skills, did y'all see Martha Stewart and her "thirst trap"?  Along with Martha, it was the first time I'd heard of that term.

The headline I clicked said something about Martha Stewart's stunning photo at her pool.  She does look good, particularly for a 78-year-old.



But I wanted to see Martha's pool.   Darn clickbait.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Linking up this week with Mama Kat for the prompt:
2. We’re still dealing with Covid…how are you, has anything changed since you last covered this topic?




12 comments:

Madamdreamweaver said...

That cartoon about Martha Stewart and the folding the fitted sheet is hilarious. I actually saw her on a program explain how to "properly fold a fitted sheet" and that she explained she had a special table in her laundry room just for that purpose. I was aghast. I thought, "this woman has way too much time on her hands." In fact, anyone who think you're going to keep anything nice and neat and folded in drawers or shelves anywhere is nuts because as soon as someone wants the item in the middle and pulls it out, the whole folded piles flips into a mess.

KatBouska said...

I'm so glad your workplace is making adjustments that will allow people to keep their jobs! I feel like there has to be a way to make salads a thing still though. Maybe pre-bagged salads? Or a salad bar similar to a Subway Sandwich shop where someone behind the bar preps each salad? I see an opportunity here for you to bring an updated salad position to the table!

3 hours per subject sounds painful for everyone involved! I'm convinced the only great solution is to kill the virus. lol

Morgan Cartwright said...

I can't imagine 3 hour long classes on one subject! I feel bad for everyone involved! I hope it all turns out okay.
i'm glad your job has evolved and you are able to stay.
I keep seeing thirst trap on TikTok, I still don't know what it is though. A hot person?

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

I've seen ole Martha folding her sheets. She is the typical 1950s housewife like my mom. That was her job and damn she was going to do it well. I'd rather have a sharp stick in the eye. And no matter how many times she or Kondo show me how to fold a fitted sheet I can't get it like they do!

Chatty Crone said...

That photo looked a lot better than I thought she looked. lol
I can't imagine 3 hour classes.
However, my daughter is a public special needs preschool teacher and she has to teach them four hours straight!
Weird world.
Sandie

Abby said...

MDW, Martha has a special table for folding fitted sheets?? I don't even want to know...

Kat, we do have some ready-to-go salads. But it's hard to be all things to all people like the old salad bar days.
Great solution! Go kill that virus, please?

Morgan, I'd never heard the term "thirst trap" before the Martha Stewart story. Definition: a photo shared on social media to elicit lusty thoughts and appreciative comments from viewers.

Abby said...

Peggy, on lazy days, I used to watch Martha Stewart's show. Of course I never did any of the crafts, recipes, tasks, etc. Many were so... why?

Sandie, I wouldn't have known the "thirst trap" photo was Martha Stewart if I wasn't told ahead of time.
I once had a 3-hour art class in college. That was actually pretty fun. I can't imagine 3 hours for a core course in history, language, math, etc. We'll see what happens.

Lori said...

Fitted sheets are the worst! Glad to hear you still have a job. People who are flexible and go with the flow are always the most valuable in the workplace, I feel. And wow, 3 hour classes sounds brutal for all concerned! Better culinary skills from all this is a great plus though. For me, it's some new gardening skills (still in progress though).

Abby said...

Lori, I'm glad to be at a point in my life where going with the flow is not an inconvenience. Good luck with the gardening! I've heard that gardening is healthy for a variety of reasons, but I've never been good at it.

Linda Hensley said...

Congrats on keeping your job! I worry about the kids' education. If it were me, I'd homeschool until something changes with Covid-19, but I know that's not possible for many people. I think it's going to take a while before the best solution is found.

Patty said...

I will admit that my sheets and towels are folded to perfection, given I'm a total Type A, probably much like Martha.

That being said, I had to go check out "thirst bait".

Happy that you are working but, don't ever minimize your worth and your skills. Obviously, you are appreciated!

Stay safe!

Jen E @ mommablogsalot said...

I'm glad you have been able to hold onto your jobs, and more importantly that your employer seems to value your efforts. That is not nothing!