Pages

Sunday, July 26, 2020

now and then

I heard about this website:  FutureMe.org.  You can write a letter to your future self and set the delivery date.  A year from now?  Ten years?  Next week?

The site includes a few letters others have written and had delivered recently, which I found fun to read, and I wondered how things had turned out for those people.  I thought about writing one, but then thought, *DUH*, I have a freaking blog!

I started blogging in 2004.  We had just moved and I didn't know many people in the new city.  The kids were little, so starting a blog was a nice diversion and way to spend time with adults.  

Naturally, much has changed since then.  Now, I'm once again in a new city, empty nested and older and much much wiser.

The family got together yesterday for Wolfgang's recent 25th birthday.  Got in some hiking and eating and card gaming until breaking up the festivities.  We hit up Horsetooth open space - yes that tooth has really made a name for itself around here - meaning to check out Horsetooth Falls.


We got to our destination and, alas, there were no falls.  That's my crew down there, wondering, "where's the water?"




Being a Saturday, several other hikers were there and wondering the same thing.  I'm not sure why there was not even a trickle of water or any moistness to the ground.  It seemed to us that maybe it's been purposely diverted upstream somewhere. 

Either way, it was a good time in Mother Nature, similar to other such times.  My first blog profile pic was from 2005...


... where it seemed that, clearly, no one was particularly interested in whatever I was pointing out.

Fifteen years later, just smile and wave.


Ever write a letter to your future self?  Want to?  Scared to?



9 comments:

LL Cool Joe said...

That photo of you pointing whilst your sons are all looking somewhere else cracks me up. Where did those 15 years go?

If I wrote a letter to myself it would say "Cheer up, you depressing sod".

Chatty Crone said...

Oh my gosh Abby - this has been my favorite post of yours!
I love those two pictures of y'all.
So cool.
Memories!
sandie

Linda Hensley said...

The boys looks so young then and so grown up now. You, of course, look exactly the same :) I've enjoyed sharing your journey over time.

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

I love this! Oh my goodness it doesn't seem too long ago until you see the boys. You woman, do not change. I need some of that! How do you not age?

Morgan Cartwright said...

I keep a blog and a journal, so like you, I don't think I need to write a letter.

Funny thing though, we did receive letters in the mail from a girl that did write a future letter to herself in high school. Her teacher followed through and sent the letters. Only, the girl hasn't lived here in quite a while.

Abby said...

LLC Joe, my letter would be similarly short and sweet!

Sandie, thanks!

Linda, I met you through Illustration Friday - how long ago, don't remember! I've enjoyed it too.

Abby said...

Peggy, wasn' 2005 a short time ago?? I count anything after the year 2000 as recent, and then... I see these "old" pics!

Morgan, the letter I heard about, that ended up recommending the site, was a similar thing where a guy's teacher tracked him down and mailed the letter he wrote when he was 14 years old. Kind of a fun school exercise, but I bet a lot of letters never found their recipients after 10 years.

Lori said...

A letter to myself...intriguing. Especially at this juncture of my life. The early picture of you is so cute with your kids so small. It's cool you have a recent one that's similar. It's amazing what happens to us in ten years. Looks like a beautiful place to hike, despite the waterless falls. The outdoors always soothes the spirit. Hey, thanks for your nice comment and support on my post. It's greatly appreciated.

Abby said...

Lori, I'm glad our kids have always enjoyed going for hikes and whatnot because I agree with you about the outdoors. And, you're welcome!