Pages

Saturday, June 20, 2020

let's do 'em all!

I'm late to the Mama Kat link-up this week.  I'd like to say it's because I was busy living an ultra productive life the last couple of days, but that's so not the case.

WHATEVER, to get myself back on track(?), I thought I'd try to tackle all of the prompts this week.  Here goes:

1. Share a new recipe you would like to try.
Oh, geez.  That's a toughie.  Well, I did have a patient at the hospital comment that we have the "best" veggie burgers.  Granted, that seems a bit like saying we have the biggest pigmies, but I have yet to try one of our veggie burgers at the hospital.  Either way, I'm not going to try the recipe as I don't actually care enough to find it out what it is.  They just come in a box that way. 
Onward!

2. Something someone said recently that made you think.
I was talking with Wolfgang this week and he showed me some digital artwork he's done from an online course he's doing.  Wolfgang works full time, but wanted to improve his art skills during this Covid downtime.

I mentioned that I haven't done much drawing or anything artsy in a long time, and he offered some tips on getting/staying motivated.  It made us wonder about how the really prolific artists kept at it year after year, painting after painting, book after book, etc.
They probably had their own mind games...



3. Write about a show you recently binge-watched.
Magnum and I recently finished watching all three seasons of "Arrested Development".  I liked it well enough.  Pretty goofy, and had some witty one-liners.  There was a reboot that resulted in seasons 4 and 5, so I guess we'll watch those.  Episodes are short, so I'm usually able to stay awake. 


4. Write a blog post inspired by the word: ride
For this I'll provide an update to review those moisture-wicking-uv-protecting shirts I got for my afternoon bicycle commute.  They're lovely.  Well, not particularly lovely in appearance, but they keep me relatively cool while protected from the sun's unfriendly rays.  Appearance wise?  Think pajama top.

Even on the model, it's rather pajama-ish, and my boobs are not those boobs.





5. Did you have a childhood security object? What’s its story?
My most memorable "security object" was a stuffed clown named... Bozo? Maybe?  Anyway, despite my not remembering the name, I carried that clown everywhere.  He was stuffed and soft, but had a face of rigid but thin plastic.  The face also had stuffing. 

One day when I was about three, my brother and I were playing in the back yard, and of course, Bozo was there too.  I was intently focused on some three-year-old's thing when I looked up to see Bozo on the ground beneath where my brother was swinging on the swingset and smacking Bozo in the face on every back and forth. 

I ran to Bozo's aid and discovered his face was cracked.  I asked my mom to please fix Bozo, fully expecting her to do so because moms can do anything and surely everyone loves Bozo.  Content with the prognosis, I went down for a nap only to awaken and never see Bozo again. 

In the (many) years since, I've come up with different theories on Bozo's demise:

  •  My brother was jealous of Bozo and the love I lavished on him, so decided to make him disappear.
  •  My mom felt it was time for me to give up Bozo and conspired with my brother to create a believable scenario for him to disappear

Naturally, there's the chance that

  • The whole thing was a timely accident that created a nifty opportunity for Bozo to disappear.

I eventually got over it.  Really, my pondering theories on what truly happened to Bozo over 50 years later is all healthy reflection, I'm sure *AHEM*

6. It’s been three months since Covid began shutting everything down. How are you doing?
Our governor recently loosened restrictions a little more, so things are cautiously looking up.  Personally, I'm a bit stir crazy, but can't complain.  I'm just not much of a homebody type, so it wears on me to not be able to go places.  On the bright side:

I have a couple of tutor students whose testing schedules are ever changing, but they're keeping at it.

Our hours are still reduced at work despite the hospital being almost fully staffed now.  That's been good in that I've been able to cross train in a "trial by fire" kind of way, and I'm grateful to be working a couple of days a week at least.  Rumor has it that moms and babies will be returning at the end of the month, so that will bring in even more busyness and, hopefully, more hours.


What are you eating/ drawing/ watching/ wearing/ missing/ doing?


14 comments:

Linda Sue said...

I will print a copy of Michelangelo's famous words, and stick it on the wall of my two foot art space- I would also like to go to the afterlife place where all of the three year old's forsaken toys go. Welcomed by BOZO and Johnny dolly and who knows- the actual, famous, velveteen rabbit. Can you imagine the love and understanding from that lot? I want to go there now, please.

Abby said...

Linda Sue, your forsaken toy afterlife place would indeed be a happy one. Yes, let's go - road trip!

Chatty Crone said...

We watched 12 seasons of BONES and now we are on the first season of ALIAS. lol I am stir crazy too. sandie

Kim@StormsAndStardust said...

I was so tempted to do all the prompts as well, but I pretty much did that last week. I was a bit late to the game myself because I couldn't decide on one topic to write about.

I've been (as always) watching a lot of tv. I recently binged Pose Season 2, Love Life Season 1, Queer Eye whichever the latest season was, and I'm now bingeing Hannibal and past seasons of Worst Cooks In America, with plans to start Girls From Ipanema probably later today.

<a href="https://stormsandstardust.net'>Kim</a>

Linda Hensley said...

To your last post, yes, I do look online to scope my neighbors when they've been in the news. And I had recent police interaction too (see latest post). We live on a planet full of crazy people.

Paula Kiger said...

Holy moly all the prompts in one post! Fun. :-)

Abby said...

Sandie, That's a lot of BONES!

Kim, Worst Cooks in America? Might have to check that one out for pointers ;)

Abby said...

Linda, I'll agree with you on the crazies! Now I've got to go read about you and the po-po!

Paula, try it! A collection of short stories rather than a novel :P

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Oh my goodness I loved this post - and that meme of Michaelangelo made me laugh out loud. I never had a doll I loved, I had what my parents called an "imaginary friend" I can still see her in my minds eye. When we moved she didn't come with us and I cried. I don't think she was imaginary but that's just me.

Morgan Cartwright said...

I had a childhood toy I took everywhere with me too. His name was Mr. Kitty. I still have him, he's in one of those plastic clothing bags in a wardrobe.

I'm stir crazy too. I'm planning a small get away for myself and the kiddos to some outdoor places at the end of July. Must get away from my house for a weekend!

Patty said...

Here I sat, slowly reading your post, and then... Michaelangelo's words just had me rolling.

I so needed that laugh.

And, you tackling all the prompts? You go with your bad self, Abby!

Stay safe!

Abby said...

Peggy, I got goosebumps when you wrote, "When we moved she didn't come with us and I cried". Where is she?!?

Morgan, aw, Mr. Kitty! A weekend getaway sounds wonderful.

Patty, kinda makes ya wonder what Michaelangelo was really thinking, doesn't it?

KatBouska said...

My son has hung on to his beloved blanket since he was a baby. He's almost 13 now and still sleeps with it. I should have given it an "accident" back when he was 3. Your brother did you a favor! lol

ShadowRun300 said...

Back to say hi!
Loved seeing all the prompts in one post. Here’s my efforts:
Recipe? What’s that? I either have food delivered or eat out. No time or desire to cook.
Think: Living through the Coronavirus at the hotel has me thinking way too much. I’m looking forward to the day when I don’t have to think... about work, my team members, the virus, the change in the nation... the stress has been a little overwhelming.
Binge watching: I don’t think I’ve even turned the tv on for the last couple of days. However, when this first started, I watched all the episodes of spring baking championship. It took weeks however, so I wouldn’t necessarily classify it as binge watching.
Ride: In all the madness of late, I did manage to sign up for the Bike MS Ride this year. I hope to fit in at least one bike ride before I ride the 200 miles in September.
Security object: I can’t remember having anything I carried around with me, but I do remember my grandmother breaking me of sucking my thumb at the age of 7! WTH?

Thanks for sharing the update on your neighbors. I admire (and appreciate) your sleuthing skills. Have you had any luck figuring out what the minivan sleeper was doing and why?