Pages

Tuesday, May 26, 2020

measure twice, cut once

I'm blogging from my bunker, holed up in my back "office" with the cat as there are men in the house ransacking the place.  Right on schedule.

We're having our interior stairs replaced - a project I've never been a part of before.  I found what I think/hope is a skilled contractor to do the deed.  Fingers crossed.

In the meantime, how about some movie reviews?  We streamed (naturally, since there's no going to the theaters) three flicks this past weekend.  I really liked two of them, and the third wasn't horrible.  In the order we watched...

First, Border.  This movie was SO weird in places, but so good!  I don't even want to say much more about it because it's a film where it's best to watch not knowing where it's going.  Just let it unfold.


Is it drama? Fantasy?  Romance? Fairy Tale? Sci-fi?  Yes!
Excellent casting and acting.  It's Swedish, so unless you speak the language, you're going to have to read.  Well worth the effort IMHO.  👍👍👍👍👍

Next, we watched The Art of Self Defense.  This was rather meh for me.  I guess it would be categorized as dark comedy.


Jesse Eisenberg plays a fearful unassertive man who decides to take up karate to help him be less fearful and unassertive.  Spoiler alert: it works for the most part.   I found the movie mildly entertaining, but not great.  It gets somewhat gruesome and disturbing in a comedic context and does bring about ponderings on what it means to be "masculine".    I like the quote, "I want to be what intimidates me", from the movie, but overall, I could take it or leave it. 👍👍👍

Thirdly is MonosMonos involves a group of eight teenage Colombian paramilitary soldiers along with the American hostage they've been put in charge of.  It's not particularly plot heavy, it's more about the group dynamics of these kids in such a setting.  They come across as naive and playful one minute, and the next, they are highly trained rebel soldiers engaged in jungle warfare.


Throw in some raging hormones and a mix of genders, and anything is possible.  It's sort of "Lord of the Flies" but with machine guns, and it's so goooooood! 👍👍👍👍👍
Monos is in Spanish, so once again, English subtitles.

Whatcha watching?




6 comments:

Morgan Cartwright said...

I'm embarrassed to say what I'm watching...binging Toddlers & Tiaras and Dance Moms on Hulu.
I have watched other things, but for some reason, those shows are amusing me at the moment.

Chatty Crone said...

We are watching the 12 seasons of BONES!

Abby said...

Morgan, heee, no embarrassment here! Do what you gotta!

Sandie, 12? That should keep you occupied!

Adelaide Dupont said...

What am I watching?

Julia Zemiro's Home Delivery which was about social media star Celeste Barber.

And Planet America which is about the election.

I watched THE LAST TASMANIAN on Kanopy which was about Truganini who lived from 1803 to 1876. The film was made a hundred years after she died.

Also there is the series HIGH FIDELITY and I am thinking of watching some of that.

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Do not watch Gems. It was lauded and everyone was in a tizzy when Sandler didn't get nominated. Worst movie ever. Terrible. Glad it was free.Rick HATED it. The plot was weak and there was no back story. Just fighting, screaming and violence but you don't know why most of this is going on.
I watched some fluff, Sweet Magnolias.
I watched some great comedians.
I watched Unorthodox, Becoming, and a show about 2 women who were together for 70 years and never told anyone they were gay. It was so sad to me.
I finished Dead To Me.
I won't bore you with the rest. :-)

Abby said...

Adelaide, quite a list! And I'd never heard of Kanopy 'til now. So many ways to stream things!

Peggy, thanks for the tip re: Uncut Gems. Truthfully, I'm not an Adam Sandler fan AT ALL, so I would've skipped it anyway, but thanks for the confirm.