Pages

Saturday, March 28, 2020

what's new?

Our state went into "lockdown" last week, but honestly, I don't notice anything different from before the lockdown.  Restaurants, bars, gyms, salons, etc. were already closed.  Businesses deemed essential remain open, and that list is pretty long - and includes liquor stores and marijuana dispensaries.  Traffic flow has not noticeably changed, although still nicely lighter than a few weeks ago.

Personally, life doesn't feel all that much different since I'm still working my same schedule at the hospital.  My tuting schedule has actually increased a little since the handful of students I have now are preparing for SATs.  They are taking advantage of the fact that school activities are cancelled and getting in some extra prep, even though SATs are also cancelled...

It's good to make the most of the situation.  I'm almost envious of Meego, who is continuing his college semester online.  But then, I'm sure there is online learning any old person can tap into.  Now would be a good time to check that out for those who have extra time on their hands. And while it's good to keep informed on COVID-19, it's also healthy to take a break from the news.

On that note, I'll report in other news - we bought a house last week.  It's strange to think that a major decision/purchase feels like background noise.

Since moving to Fort Collins, we'd been renting a house.  Once our house in Colorado Springs sold, we started looking at homes for sale while figuring out our "musts" and "wants".  Long story short, we ended up buying the house we've been renting.  The landlord planned to sell after our lease was up, and he knew we were looking to buy something, so we did the thing.  We all attended the closing, spaced safely around a large conference table using our own pens, and gave each other air handshakes afterward.  

Next week, we've got some essential plumbers scheduled to come do an essential job on the new old house.  

Stay healthy, my friends.  Keep disinfecting, keep busy 😙

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Linking up with Mama Kat for the prompt:
2. Write about how you keep busy during a “quarantine.” Is your daily schedule affected much at all?




13 comments:

John Holton said...

That graph: hilarious!

Chatty Crone said...

Glad you got your house!
I hear a doctor say that CBD stores - selling to people - called essential stores - that the marijuana actually is not good for this virus as it opens the lungs too much and the virus loves that.
I also thought I heard that the kids did not need SAT's this year due to the virus.
Of course I don't know if both of those are true.
Sandie


Abby said...

John, I find it hilarious too, 'cause it's true!

Sandie, seems to me, any kind of smoking compromises the lungs. I don't know about the effects of edibles or really anything about medicinal marijuana. I haven't looked into how the coronavirus situation is affecting college admissions, just know that SATs and the like are cancelled for now.

Madamdreamweaver said...

That description of the closing with air hand-shakes---hilarious! I'd rather do a air hand-shake on a normal basis is men tend to squeeze to hard and I sometimes rebuke them for being indelicate and too often women try to imitate men's handshakes by being "too firm" too and I'm going to start rebuking them for hurting my hand. I do not like shaking hands with a vise, male or female.

Lori said...

Congrats on the house! We plan on buying this year too, but not the one we've been renting for 5 years. How nice you were able to keep it simple and not have to move again! I know what you mean about staying off the Internet. It can really take you down a rabbit hole of stress and worry. Bottom line...keep your distance and wash your hands. Hope you all stay safe!

Lorraine said...

Congratulations on buying your rental. Think of all the time and money you will be saving on moving. Now you can unpack the rest of your stuff!

Herb said...

Congrats on the new house! I loved the graph, too.

Abby said...

MadamDW, it was a bit weird to "not touch" anyone at the closing. And I agree with you, firmer isn't always better when shaking hands.

Lori, thanks. The house thing worked out nicely for us and the landlord both.

Abby said...

Clamco, the ease of moving was certainly an appealing part of buying the house! Plus, we already knew the quirks of the house and that we like the neighborhood. Much less guesswork.

Herb, thanks, nothing like buying property in the middle of a global pandemic!

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Boy Abby that saved you two a lot of house hunting and going into peoples homes and all that awful stuff that no one should be doing right now. Win-win if you like the house! yeah!

Morgan Cartwright said...

congrats on the new/old house! Upside is that you do not have to move things again!

Abby said...

Peggy, you are so right. We'd looked at a few houses, but hadn't found anything that made it worth our while to move out of this one. Then the whole lockdown started. Glad to not be selling a house right now.

Morgan, thanks. And I love the no-pack part!

KatBouska said...

How did you not LEAD with the fact that you bought a house!? Oh my gosh, that is huge fantastic news! Congratulations!!

Watching the country go into quarantine has been surreal. I definitely got a kick out of the graphic you used in this post. #Relatable