Pages

Tuesday, March 3, 2020

by their right name

Years ago, when I was in college and working in retail, our management asked us to refer to customers by their first names if possible - usually if they paid by check or credit card where we could see their names.  Most of us felt that was kinda weird and didn't follow those instructions, not all the time anyway.  Maybe if we actually knew the person outside of work we'd use their first name.  Maybe.

We felt that, while some people might like it, others would find it strange and/or an obvious attempt to pretend we're all chums when we're actually strangers conducting a short and simple business transaction.  Plus, there are some people who have their legal names printed on checks and credit cards, but it's not the names they use day-to-day.  Magnum is one of those.  It helps him screen telemarketers.

I don't care much one way or the other when strangers refer to me by name while doing their jobs.  Maybe it's because I figure their boss told them to do that like mine did.

I'm thinking about this because I'm having to fill out a short "competency test" for my hospital job.  It's multiple-choice and pretty easy to answer many questions by process of elimination.  One such question:

Do you ever call the patient by their name?  When would you do this?  Why would you do this?

and one of the answer choices:

d.  you should refer to patients as "Buddy" or "Chief"

Ha, I'm pretty sure that one's not the correct choice. Also, it doesn't answer the question of, "why would you do this?"

Uhmmm, maternity ward...

"Good morning, Buddy!  Congrats on your new baby, Chief Mom!"

Another instance in college, a (female) friend of mine went to see one of our (male) professors during office hours for clarification on an assignment.  He referred to her as "Honey".

OMG, right?

Never mind that we were rare females in a male-dominated major, but I'm pretty sure professors wouldn't easily get away with that now.

Do you like to be addressed by your first name by strangers providing some small service, like retail?  What about things like, "Honey", "Buddy", "Sweetie", "Chief"?
I'M  QUITE  POSITIVE  I'VE  NEVER REFERRED TO ANYONE AS "CHIEF"



In other news, I indulged some more in #inktober52 with the prompt "spider".  In my version of the story, the spider and little miss Muffet were good friends.




We also visited downtown over the weekend.  There we were halted by yet another train.  Weirder still to have a long *ss train haul through the middle of a downtown area, but there it was.

What we've learned about the local train situation:  none of the locals likes their interruptions, and the train people don't give a hoot (see what I did there?)



8 comments:

Chatty Crone said...

They give those tests I guess to see - what? You already have the job right?

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Abby, first and foremost I am not fond of a person on the phone saying hey Peg. I don't know them. But once I know you, you can call me anything. If a person in retail called me by my first name it wouldn't offend me but it would take me aback. I worked retail one Xmas and I had to refer to customers by their name as well. But Ms. Jones or Mr. Smith when they gave us their check or credit card. Never their first name. That is an odd one.
Love when you have Inktober - you are so good.
That town I lived in the trains went through downtown. You get used to it to a point but never love it.

John Holton said...

When I was working in retail, it was always "Mr." or "Mrs." or "Ms." followed by the last name, or "sir" or "ma'am" if I didn't know. I never presumed to call them by their first name unless they told me I could. When I was in the hospital, I was Mr. Holton until I got sick of it and asked them to call me John. I think it's just common courtesy.

Abby said...

Chatty, it's more of an "open book" survey to help each employee identify policies and regulations they're unsure of. We can look up answers or ask someone. More efficient than having a mandatory workshop and going over everything!

Peg, I thought it was odd too, to refer to customers by their first ames. Might have tried it once or twice, then noped out of it.
Yep, I think we're stuck with the trains. It would take major projects and expense to avoid them.

John, I agree, first name feels strange in a retail setting. My dad spent his final months in a nursing home. His mind was sharp 'til the end, and the staff always referred to him as "Mr. [last name]", which I thought was respectful as well as a title he was comfortable with.

ShadowRun300 said...

At the hotel, I use a mix of First Name and Mr/Mrs Last Name depending on who I’m communicating with. First Name for casual, young guests. Mr./Mrs. Last Name for older or more professional guests... or guests who are angry and need some service recovery. I suppose it’s different in my field, however.
As for nick names, some people can get away with it. My breakfast attendant can call anyone and everyone Sunshine and they love it! As the manager, I don’t think it would go over very well. :)
Love your little Miss Muffet... and yeah, the train. Right in the middle of town! Weird.

Abby said...

SR300, I think you're right to go with case-by-case! I remember doing the same when I was hoteling.

LL Cool Joe said...

As a transman you can imagine the selection of names I've been called over the years and it makes me pretty sensitive. I wish people would avoid all of them and keep them as gender neutral as possible.

Abby said...

Joey. I think people are slowly becoming more aware of not assuming stereotypes or "pet name" preferences and identifiers, but it's a slow-go.