Pages

Sunday, February 2, 2020

canine envy

It's a wonderfully strangely warm and sunny day today.  Temperatures in the 70's on this Groundhog Day.  Magnum and I took advantage and decided to go for a bike ride around our extremely bike friendly town.

Not surprisingly, many others were out recreating.  We passed several other walkers, joggers, bicyclists, skateboarders, etc.  At one point, we pulled up behind an interesting crew:  two girls, early 20's I'd say, each holding a leashed Doberman Pinscher. The girls were on rollerblades being pulled by the dogs.

And those dogs were like fine tuned machines, focused on running down the pathway and pulling the girls.  The pathway is a multi-use path with 2-way traffic and is rather narrow in spots.  But those powerful dogs stayed precisely in their lane, staggered slightly one behind the other.  The girls didn't need to propel themselves at all on their rollerblades, just coast behind the dogs.  But it was clear that the girls were in complete control of the animals, and it was quite impressive.  "Badass" is what actually came to my mind.

SOURCE




The girls, too, were not Miss Prissies.  They were both solidly built, and one of them in particular had a head of long wild blonde hair, which only added to the badass appearance.  I felt as though I was temporarily thrust into some Frank Frazetta-esque world of witchlike beastmasters... erm... beastmaidens?







I got to thinking of our two dogs and what a disaster it would be if we tried such an endeavor.  Heck, we're still teaching them to walk in a straight line, let alone pull us down a crowded pathway!

Our previous dogs, Domino and China, both liked to run.  Although  not nearly as disciplined as the dogs on the path today, I could hook them up to the kids' sleds, and they'd run up and down the snowy street a few times with me holding their leashes.  Penny and Merlin have the strength and energy - although Penny's on the small side - but hoo boy.  It'd be trips and falls waiting to happen.

I love our two meandering mutts, and I know they just need time and attention.  They'll eventually get it. 

But I wish I could get some witch's brew from those two on the path today.




3 comments:

Chatty Crone said...

I am thinking of ole Disco - and laughing.

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

It's so warm here too - weird winter of 65 - 70 degrees. I fear what heat this brings in our normally hot and humid summers. Yikes. My dog would be great at that until now. She is almost 11 (few days) and she has been tripping a bit up curbs etc. She still swims like a fish but running alone side us while on a bike and skates she couldn't do anymore.

Abby said...

Sandie, isn't it funny to think that all these pooches are the same species?

Peggy, I bet Izzy was a force to be reckoned with in her prime. It can be hard watching them age. We had 70's on Sunday, snow and BRRRR on Monday.