Pages

Thursday, December 12, 2019

comfy?

I'm realizing that I'm quite comfortable with change, actually often crave it.  Moving has been a nice experience in that regard.  I'm liking the smaller house in the smaller city and exploring new places, and it's good to get out of old ruts and see things with fresh eyes.

It's got me considering some things that make me uncomfortable, though.  In  no particular order...

Loud people
I had to go to a UPS store to return our old internet modem/ router.  One of the customer service people was so LOUD.  He was a young guy - early 20s I'd say - and just filled the whole place with his loudness.  Why?  I don't know.  He was friendly and competent, but my god.  On a similar note,

Long Stories
Don't get me wrong, I love to read anecdotes - on blogs or memoirs or wherever.  Listening to them, though?  Not so much.  You ever have someone just go on and on with some narrative, including irrelevant details,  without coming up for air?  I even get uncomfortable when I see someone else being subjected to another just droning on.   Also similarly,

Giving lots of details
I guess since I don't like listening to people's long drawn out tales, I'm typically very succinct when speaking.  I wonder if it's typical of people who blog to not be overly chatty?   A conversation should not be a monologue, and I like listening to responses and wait to be asked for more detail.
Also, as a tutor, I've been trained that, "the student should do 75% or more of the talking", so I ask a lot of questions while tuting.  Students learn to not expect a lecture.  On that note,

Guilt
Well I think guilt, by definition, is uncomfortable, but it's something I've been thinking of recently.  One thing about moving is that Magnum's sister is the sole point of contact in Colorado Springs for her and Magnum's mom and stepdad.  They're in their 80s and living in a senior living community with their needs quite well taken care of, but they do need assistance once in a while.  SIL and her husband already do a lot for them, and I was feeling like we should shoulder more of that load... and then we moved.  Times like this, I could stand to speak up  more (see above).



Clutter
It's not news here that I dislike clutter.  Moving is great for getting rid of clutter, but also a great way to expose it all.  Downsizing just makes it seem even bigger.  My anxiety has been triggered this past month 😱.  Seriously, I've had no desire to watch Marie Kondo's Netflix show, although I'm a fan.  Just watching the trailer with the "befores" gave me the shakes.  But on the contrary,

Silence
I don't like loud or incessant talking, but a little background chatter is nice.  I'm typing this at the public library because I'm not good at being a homebody.  And lastly,

Forgetting to get confirmation
I took my commuter bicycle to a nearby shop yesterday for a tune-up.  The shop gets great reviews, is close to where we live, and the staff person was very friendly.  So I dropped the bike off after giving my name and contact info, then left with no copy of any work order or anything.  He typed stuff into the shop computer and said it should be ready today or tomorrow, but I've got nuthin' to show for it or prove that it's my bicycle.  The shop is smaller and much less busy than the one I was used to, not surprisingly.  I always got a copy of any work orders at the last place, and didn't really think of it this time.  Hopefully, Ariel and I will be reunited.  Fingers crossed.

What's something that makes you uncomfortable?  I'm listening.

-----------------------------------------
Linking up this week with Mama Kat for the prompt:
5. List 7 things that make you uncomfortable


14 comments:

LL Cool Joe said...

I really dislike loud people too, I think it's because my mother used to shout, so it reminds me of that. I really don't like it even if it's normal conversation.

I love silence. Even the noise of the fridge bugs me.

Oh we ALL live with guilt.

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Abby I too hope you get back custody of Ariel. You may just find a smaller town is just like that though and you will end up loving it.
I like change. I like to move. Oh no, not the actual moving part, packing etc. I like to be in a new place. This is the longest I have lived in one city since turning 25. I like to move and I love to move out of a city I didn't like (seattle) But even though I didn't like it I'm glad I was there. I learned a lot.

Chatty Crone said...

I went to lunch Tuesday with a gal that talked for over an hour - HONESTLY - without taking a breathe - ohvey!

Morgan Cartwright said...

Loud people! They make me so uncomfortable.

Abby said...

Joey, yes, the loudness. Even when it's friendly-talk, so uncomfortable.

Peggy, "I like to move" is like "I like to travel". It's not the waiting in lines or sitting on an airport tarmac, but the other stuff :). I think each place we live has something to teach us, good or bad.

Abby said...

Sandie, omigosh, I would've gone nuts! Sorry you had to have that with your lunch!

Morgan, that UPS guy answered the phone so loud, I thought the person calling was really hard of hearing. But then he finished the call and kept talking so loud to customers! I couldn't wait to get outta there.

Madamdreamweaver said...

A couple things that make me really uncomfortable:
People talking to me or anyone around me about medical issues concerning themselves or others. I can't even watch a medically themed TV program. Gives me anxiety.
People standing in my personal space or people hugging me. (shutters)

ShadowRun300 said...

I’m so happy you’re loving your new place. I love change myself, so these past few years of traveling to different places to work/live has been fun for me. (I’ve just recently had another change that you may appreciate. I’m now running the hotel I started at - the one with the mean boss. She retired a few years back, and her replacement didn’t do that well, so they chose me! So exciting. 😁)
Funny enough, after my comment, I’m uncomfortable talking about myself. I can handle short bits, but beyond that I want to turn the focus back on to the person I’m talking with.
I’m sure Ariel is in good hands, but I’ll feel better when she’s back home safe and sound.

Linda Hensley said...

One time I was having dinner with a couple of friends when a mutual acquaintance came by and hijacked our conversation for 2 hours. I even left for a while and came back to find my friends mutely suffering as the woman still talked about her vacation. That's when I decided never again. So yeah, loud people with long stories and too many details!!!

Lori said...

I'm with you on loud people and long stories. I am easily shanghaied into listening because I want to be polite, but I'm just cringing inside. The thing that makes me the most uncomfortable is being the center of attention and also feeling or thinking that I've said or done something to make someone feel bad.
But onto change...I'm still catching up on your posts - where did you move to? I am always up for change too. It's refreshing to have a different routine and surroundings, isn't it?

Kim@StormsAndStardust said...

On the subject of loud people, I really hate when I go into a public restroom and someone walks in being loud on their cell phone. I dislike people being loud on cell phones anyway, but then they walk into a public restroom where it's already hard enough to just get in, do what I need to do, and get out. HOW can those people talk in there? I've heard other people peeing and, well, everything else in public restrooms with people on the phone. :: shudders::

Kim

Anonymous said...

Call me crazy, but sometimes I like getting roped into long-winded, 1-way, self-centered conversations. I play a little game with myself, waiting for the EXACT moment when he or she will NAIL the premise for, "Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and to remove all doubt." Rarely disappointed.

Abby said...

Madamdreamweaver, interesting on the medical stuff. And I will refrain from hugging :)

SR300, wow, back where it all started - congratulations!

Linda, TWO hours! Oh yikes.

Abby said...

Lori, yeah, indadvertently saying something to make someone feel bad. I worked with a guy once, and he was complaining that his shirt didn't fit him right. I quietly told him that it was because it was a women's shirt. He later told me he was trans (male to female) and just getting started. Oh sheesh.

Kim, similar to phone conversations in a locker room. So loud. And weird.

Anonymous, okay, you crazy.
Either that or you've had long-winded, 1-way, self-centered conversations with more interesting people than I have.