Pages

Friday, November 29, 2019

cold turkey

Happy day after Thanksgiving to all my American blogger friends who partake!

It was nice to take a little break from the relocating activities with some food and family time.  As I mentioned, Magnum's sister and her husband hosted Thanksgiving for the third year in a row.  They are both very good cooks and have a newly remodeled kitchen, so everything was plentiful and yummo.  Chaco, Wolfgang, and Meego all made the trip, too.

Roads are still a mess since our snowstorm earlier this week.  It hasn't warmed up enough to melt the snow and ice, so getting around is an adventure.  With that in mind, the annual Turkey Trot 5K must go on!

I always sign up, because it's a charity run. They were very good about updating us on the course conditions leading up to the race.
In a word, conditions were crappy, but 2400 of my closest friends and I decided, "eh, what the hell"

It was a chilly mid-20 degrees at the start and foggy.  The course was messy/ icy/ slushy, and I don't think anyone was out there to break any records.  Participation is usually around 5,000, but I wasn't surprised at the relatively low turnout.


It was actually quite fun.  It usually is anyway, but with the sloppy conditions, the "lust for winning" was greatly diminished, and we all just slogged through thinking of how silly it seemed.  I  noticed this girl's hoodie message while perusing race photos.  Where does one get such a hoodie?


I ended up 2nd place for the old ladies.  Nancy beats me every year.  She's 59 years old!  But Nancy and I both beat some young whippersnappers, and all things considered - "Ack! Slush! It's in my mouth!" - I'm happy with my stats:




So here we are, black Friday.  No shopping for us as the packing and cleaning continues, but yesterday was fun, plus MY oven is clean 😌






9 comments:

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Great Job Abby! After dinner you did this - I watched a movie. Hence why I look as I do and you look fabulous. Took me a while to see what was so great about the hoodie - I never read it until just before commenting.

Abby said...

Margaret, thanks. But to clarify, I ran before dinner. Otherwise, there'd have been more than slush and ice mucking up that road...

Chatty Crone said...

I THINK YOU ARE AWESOME!

Abby said...

Sandie, BACK ATCHA!

Anonymous said...

u GO girl!
And next year, that 59 yr old's gonna age out of the category -- so crush time for Abs!

Herb said...

Good job! Yes, that is a cool hoodie.

Abby said...

Anon, yeah, good ol' Nancy. One year in five, we're in the same "heat". Next year!

Herb, thanks :)

Linda Hensley said...

Congrats on the oven cleaning and the marathon. Both are activities I doubt I'll put any energy into! I'm also absolutely sure I didn't need to know about that person's sexuality.

Abby said...

Linda, now I'm wondering about the message she was trying to convey with the hoodie. Her current status? Or after "crossing the bridge" and looking back?