Pages

Thursday, October 10, 2019

where's the tooth fairy when you need her?

Yesterday, it was sunny and nearly 80 degrees as I was gallivanting on my bicycle for some excuse or other.  The main excuse was that I knew today would suck.  I checked the weather app this morning and wasn't surprised



It's yucky outside as I type.  Winter is... here?

But enough small talk about the weather.  It's been another busy and productive week, and I'm a bit grateful for some weather induced downtime.  For one, I got that cursed tooth removed yesterday afternoon.

And for all the trouble it gave me in the past 6 months or so, that tooth wasn't happy about leaving.  The oral surgeon was a pleasant man with nice chair-side manner.  But when push came to shove, he pushed and shoved and drilled and twisted and drilled some more and pushed and... well, you get the idea.



Now, here I sit in recovery with a big gaping hole in my head, but I'm glad that sick tooth is no more.  Dr. had to dig up into my sinus to get all the roots out, so the sinus feels weird and needs to heal up too. Among other things, I'm not allowed to

  • blow my nose
  • play a wind instrument
  • blow up balloons

for at least two weeks.  Darn, there go my clown plans.

The avoidance of wind instruments and balloons is pretty easy to abide, but I keep thinking of how nice it would be to blow my nose like a real person.

When under such limitations, however, I think of my friend, Bunny.  A few years ago, Bunny had carpel tunnel surgery on both wrists at the same time.  She wasn't able to use her hands for two weeks afterward, so her husband was her hands for her during that time.

Think for a minute of all the things you do with your hands...

Yeah.

---------------------------------------------------------------------
Linking up with Mama Kat this week for the prompt:
3. Write a blog post inspired by the word: sick


10 comments:

Brian said...

I would have installed a bidet for the worst of it. Just can't see me going there for what, 2 weeks?

Brian said...

Although - I did have surgery on my right arm to re-attach a ruptured biceps tendon about 7 years ago. Arm in a hard cast for 2 weeks, then a removeable cast for another 8. But couldn't lift anything more than a small coffee cup with my right arm. That hampered my performance on several duties (heh). For a week before my surgery, I practiced a few of the more delicate operations left handed. It's amazing how much more difficult it was.

But having NO hands and relying on someone else? I hope to avoid that even when I'm in my 80's!

Abby said...

Brian, makes you appreciate use of your hands, right? Bunny explained that surgery isn't typically done on both wrists at once, but her case was such that they didn't want to wait for one to heal before doing the other. Probably the longest 2 weeks of both their lives!

Chatty Crone said...

Your poor mouth - has the pain medication wore off yet?

And I never ever thought about the loss of two hands at once. I wish I hadn't - lol.

Love, sandie

Kim@StormsAndStardust said...

Wow, that sounds very delicate! I sneeze a lot; I can't imagine that I'd be able to hold myself together till I healed. Hope you are feeling better by now! Just stopped in via Writer's Workshop.

Kim

Abby said...

Sandie, my mouth is making progress (I think!) I've got some big honking ibuprofens left over from the last surgery if I get cranky.

Kim, thanks for visiting! I never thought about how often I sneeze and blow my nose before this. Something to look forward to :)

Madamdreamweaver said...

Wow! I recently had an upper molar crowned, which was a new experience. What's funny I think is how the tongue reacts to anything new in the mouth; it must "investigate" anything new or different. So my tongue was over there touching that crown constantly for at least 2 weeks. Finally, accepted, though, as a member of the family.

Tee said...

I am so very much appreciating my hands right now!

So sorry to hear about your challenging tooth extraction. Hope your non-nose-blowing, non-wind-instrument, non-balloon-blowing phase passes as quickly as possible.

Anita said...

Google vitrectomy recovery (images) to tell me if you think that would be worse than the hole in your head. I had a hole in my eye a few years ago. But by darn, I kept my head down as much as possible for the sake of my precious eye.
I hope you're getter better and better by the hour.

KatBouska said...

No clowning around...that's going to be tough. I bet it's nice to have that over with!