Pages

Friday, August 30, 2019

some fairytale bliss

A couple of years ago, I got an urgent email from my friend, Cynthia.  She had been kidnapped by Philippine rebels and needed cash for her release.  Naturally, I replied,

"Sorry, Cynthia.  A little tight this month.  Maybe next kidnapping"

Yeah, her email was hacked.  She was safe and sound at her office downtown.  These scammers.  We hear about them preying on the elderly.  I'm offended they prey on me as often as they do. 



So when I got this message on facebook messenger this week, I was skeptical.

Who is this "Andie"?  Why doesn't she mention "my son" by name?  Better yet, why is she contacting me and not "my son"?

I checked her profile.  Sure, she looks sweet and innocent, but we have no mutual friends.  It's all a ruse!



Her profile showed she lived in the same town where Meego goes to school.  Wolfgang also lives there. Maybe that was all part of the ruse?  I was about to blow the whole thing off, but sent a quick text to both Meego and Wolfgang, just to see if either one happened to be missing a wallet.

Lo and behold, Meego was looking for his wallet.  Wolfgang also texted back saying the mysterious Andie had contacted him too, saying she'd found Meego's wallet.  Wolfgang was texting with Andie to get the wallet to Meego.  The mystery remained, however.  How had she found us without finding Meego?

Long story short, she and a friend met Meego and a friend (good to have backup, on both ends...) on campus, he got the wallet back and said, "they were really nice".  My faith in humanity is restored.

She said she found me on facebook and Wolfgang on Instagram but Meego didn't show up in her social media search.  I'm still wondering how she knew we were all related.  Our last name is not an uncommon one. 

Maybe she's in cahoots with Philippine rebels?

Now, onto the 3-day weekend.  We made it an impromptu 4-day weekend.  I purposely didn't schedule any tutees today.  Magnum learned this and decided to take the day off too.  We played outside some:  an early ride with the mountain bikes


followed by a nature hike in some different boonies.


Look, nature!

Yeah, we're walkin' into the long weekend like...



We cut our hike a bit short because weather people said "severe storms after 2pm".  It's 5 o'clock and still beautiful outside.  Not complaining.



6 comments:

Chatty Crone said...

Man, what a great surprise for someone to return a wallet. I would have been skeptical too! sandie

Lorraine said...

Hooray for a happy ending and hooray also for good, honest people. They really do exist!

Abby said...

Chatty, it was a nice surprise. And she really had to work to find him!

Clamco, there are a few out there!

Linda Hensley said...

I'm glad there's a reason to have faith in humanity. I hope your gum zit and bike are both better now. To answer your question about gender and medicine, I generally prefer women dentists and gynecologists as they often have smaller, gentler hands. Other than that, no, it doesn't make a difference to me.

Abby said...

Linda, I'm quite impressed with this stranger's efforts to return a wallet. And yes, both the gum zit and bicycle are currently in better form.

Anita said...

If a strange +/- 19 year old DM'd me beginning with, Hey Anita!, I would be suspicious, too. Not that I mind being called by my first name, but after I've met said stranger face to face or via an old fashioned phone conversation.