Pages

Thursday, July 18, 2019

so left but she's right though

Well, I ordered that bike.  That bike I mentioned thinking about getting on my last post?  My last post that was nearly a week ago?  Dang, time flies when I neglect the blog

I'm sure the masses that read here were kept in suspense, unable to think of anything other than if I would get that bike or not.  So there ya go, yes, I did order it. 

It's a mountain bike.  I've been true mountain biking twice in my life.  We rented awesome bikes and hit the woods.  It was great fun, and we vowed to do it more.  So yeah, we've been a grand total of two times.


Sure, we meant to go more, and thought about it a couple of weeks ago, but alas.  The rental shop was fresh out.  Then there's the time limitations - the "must pick up by" and "must return by", and I said, "wouldn't life be nice if I just had my own sitting in the garage, ready to go?"

I went to my fave local bike shop to try some out, but nah.  None were quite right, and if I was going to commit, I wanted all my specs.  With help from the young salesman, I found the bike.  I could have it by... OCTOBER?!

I slept on it over the weekend, went back on Monday to order it, resigned to waiting three months.  The girl who helped me out pulled it up on the computer and said, "Uh, well, looks like it will be about a week, week and a half.  That okay?"  Apparently more of MY bike had become available?

So I was pleasantly surprised and said,



I plopped over the down payment, and now I wait.  I'm counting this as a win.

I'm still a total noob when it comes to mountain biking, and have been watching a few inspiring tutorial videos.  In the meantime, Meego's been checking out some local trails, and I asked him to find some good recommendations for noobs.






He came home a couple of nights ago and shared the aftermath of a crash.

He ended up going over the handlebars and somehow ripping a hole in the center of his t-shirt, leaving a hot pink abrasion underneath.


Okay, now I know one place NOT to go.







--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Linking up this week with Mama Kat for the prompt:
5. Write about the last thing you won.




13 comments:

KatBouska said...

I've never been mountain biking! I think I would be the slowest/safest biker on the mountain. You know what's fun? ELECTRIC BIKES! We rented those on the ocean and I don't even want to bike without a motor again. ;)

Chatty Crone said...

I give you and your family kudos for biking - especially mountain biking - but it seems dangerous! I read the blog comment from above what is an electric bike?

Abby said...

Kat, the irony of mountain biking is that faster is often safer - one of my biggest challenges! My bro-in-law just ordered an e-bike since his commute doubled in distance (and time). I've never ridden one, but am anxious to see what he thinks!

Chatty, I'm not sure which is more dangerous - biking out with the rocks and roots, or biking with motor traffic...
An electric bike, or e-bike, is a bicycle with an electric motor to assist when pedaling. They're becoming more and more popular!

Madamdreamweaver said...

Learning to ride a bike is kind of a kid-basic, I guess. I learned, but never got into it. We lived way out in the country without any sidewalks and the only road was a busy state road that wasn't safe. Here in Florida, a lot of people get bikes with extra wide tires (about 2 1/2 inches) to ride around on. I think they call them either beach bikes or sand bikes, but people ride them on sidewalks and stuff. I think they probably have a comfortable ride and they go smoothly over an rough or grainy ground surface.

John Holton said...

I rode a bicyxle everywhere when I was in high school and college, but never had any desire to go mountain biking. I preferred the danger of riding on city streets...

Abby said...

Madamdreamweaver, that's interesting. I had a friend while growing up who lived in the country. She was strong and a good athlete, but could not ride a bike to save her life :D
We have the bikes you describe, call them "fat bikes". They look very capable, but also quite slow on smooth surfaces.

John, I belong to a bicycle commuting group on facebook. There are members there from all over the world. One guy from Europe was coming to the US on a temporary work assignment and (seriously) asked for recommendations for a bullet-proof vest to wear while commuting. Such is his impression of bicycle commuting in America!

Anonymous said...

I remember vividly that ad.
Sitting at the dining room table, perusing the luxury item catalog in the early 80's. Premier offering for the first mountain bike evar; I don't know what they called it then but "Stumpjumper" was painted on the downtube. It was essentially a regular "10-speed" with knobby tires, ruggedized wheels and taller/wider handlebars (suspensions were years away). Awesome in concept, looked really cool. Wicked expensive. I took it all in like a kid pining over a Red Rider BB Gun...

But knowing how delicate my own 10-speed was (I was ALWAYS truing its wheels, adjusting derailleurs, de-stretching brake cables...), and imagining the chain constantly de-sprocketing itself if ridden over ANY terrain whatsoever, not to mention that sticker shock, my conclusion was, "Ok, THAT will never catch on...." and turned the page.

I thought texting was a doomed concept, too.

Abby said...

Anonymous, yaas! It's really impressive, the calamities today's mountain bikes can muscle through. They've really taken off... literally.
I actually owned a vintage Stumpjumper (used, 1983). Gave it to a PEO sis in NY, where it still resides, likely underappreciated.
Looking forward to the bike shop letting me know when the new one's ready for pickup. They'll text me...

Linda Hensley said...

Happy trails to you! I spent a lot of my childhood mountain biking but it didn't have a name back then. Good memories :)

ShadowRun300 said...

Actually, I wasn’t in suspense. I knew when you mentioned you were thinking about it that you would get it. I just didn’t know what kind. :)
How exciting! Glad Meego’s testing the paths for you. He seems pretty proud of his war wound.

Abby said...

Linda, I'm sure you did some "mountain biking" as a kid!

SR300, come to think of it, if I say, "I'm deciding whether or not to buy a..." it really means, "I'm making a list of points to present to Magnum to justify buying a..."
I think my presentation was too good. He ended up ordering one too.

LL Cool Joe said...

So is Miley Cyrus into mountain bikes too?

I'd be weeping about the hole in that t-shirt. Be careful.

Abby said...

Joey, I bet Miley mountain bikes... naked and like a wrecking ball.