Pages

Tuesday, July 30, 2019

bear bells and Tiffany

It is with sore back muscles that I sit here typing, working at getting the best angle to view the computer screen with my transition bifocals.  Yeesh, when did I get so old?

But my new bicycle arrived last Wednesday, and we managed to get out to play over the weekend - old folks or not.  The weather and trails were nicely accommodating.

her name is Lily

It's been fun and a reminder of what a noob I am at mountain biking.  When I justified the acquisition of a new bicycle to Magnum, he was so sold on the idea that he got one too.  So there we were in the woods, working on our skills.  As expected, mountain biking is like math.  You don't learn it by watching someone else do it.

Now to shift to some sobering news, a friend of mine had a bad reaction to some medication.  Long story short, she's been in a coma for over a week.

Tiffany is about 40 years old and energetic, smart, charitable, and adventurous.  She's a science teacher at a local high school.  It was Tiffany who talked me into being a (mostly... sometimes...) vegetarian.  She recently hiked many miles over several days to some ancient ruins - "NOT Machu Picchu.  You can ride a BUS to Machu Picchu!" - in Peru.

It's hard for me to picture her in her current state as she is typically smiling and bustling with energy and ideas.

But she does seem to be making slow progress, so there's that.


8 comments:

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Abby the new mountain bike sounds wonderful. You look great in the picture. I'm glad you're showing me a photo of summer instead of snow. :-)
I'm sorry to hear about your friend. I do hope her prognosis is good.

LL Cool Joe said...

Oh no I'm so sorry about your friend, how awful. I really hope she improves.

My older daughter's middle name is Lily, so good choice!

Chatty Crone said...

I am so sorry about your friend. I hope and pray she comes out of the coma with everything in tack. I like your new bike. You rock. sandie

Abby said...

Peggy, thanks. And I'm also glad I'm not showing you pictures of snow!

Joey, nice middle name! And thanks about Tiffany. It's a slow go, but she's tough.

Chatty, I love the bike too - so fun! Tiffany's brain activity is improving. Fist step: wake up.

ShadowRun300 said...

A tough bike named Lily. I love it! Those sore muscles just mean you were havin fun. :)

So sorry to hear about your friend. I sure hope she improves quickly. She’s so young!

Abby said...

SR300, Lily is pretty tough, I need to catch up!
And yeah, Tiffany's young and so full of positive energy, which is why her situation is so shocking.

Linda Hensley said...

Wishing the best for your friend. All that hiking probably helps her outcome, at least I'm hoping that for her. I thought about buying a bike today. Does that count? :) I actually did go on a hike, not one of your kind of hikes, but it's something.

Abby said...

Linda, Thanks for thinking of Tiffany. Happy hiking!