Pages

Wednesday, June 26, 2019

selling, scammers, and the healing powers of mud

Yeesh, these are supposed to be the lazy days of summer, and I've been busy neglecting the poor blog!

My tutor workload has nicely mellowed - a few nice students a week, no evenings, no weekends. 😊
But I am filling the days with other things.  Since our April (snow) showers brought May (snow) showers brought a buncha downed tree limbs brought June showers, I find myself doing a fair amount of yard work this summer, trying to keep the yard presentable.

In my continuing tidying efforts, I've been selling a few items off on craigslist.  I get a kick out of the scammers out there.  They don't fail me.  Within minutes of placing an ad on craigslist, I get inquiry texts from interested "buyers".  So here's your PSA for today:

  •   If some stranger asks for a Google Voice Verification code to prove to THEM that YOU are not a scammer, THEY are a scammer.

I can usually spot them right off because they respond to ads shortly after the ads have been posted, the item for sale is usually named exactly as posted in the ad, and the English is not so good.  I like to humor them a bit before I block them.  Example, figure 1.

fig. 1

*sigh*  Eventually, they leave me alone, and the legit people come through.  

And craigslist hasn't been a one-way street this month.  Meego, still reeling a bit from his broken heart, has done some shopping therapy and found a sweet new-to-him, full suspension mountain bike, plu$ a few acce$$orie$ and shop adju$tment$.   Good thing he works a lot of hours in the summer.  He got it out to the hills last weekend, and this showed up in my instagram.



Well, y'know what they say, "best way to get over a man is to get under another one"
OOPS, wait.  Wrong scenario.  

I meant to say,  "best way to get over a girl is to get off  Snapchat and get on a new bicycle".



7 comments:

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Abby, that is one scam I haven't received....yet. I get 100 robo calls a day on both office and cell. That's fun.
My husband has been in selling mode and he gets a lot of "how much" he repeats the ad, then they say I'll be there this afternoon. Never show up.

Lorraine said...

I keep getting "Is this item still available?" I reply yes and then get crickets.

Annsterw said...

LOL at wrong scenario!!!! HA! Craigslist is the worst! UGH! I am so sick of scammers trying to make a fast buck and rip off someone else! UGH! So happy he found a bike that makes him happy again...perfect solution! HUGS

Abby said...

Peg, I sold some shelves over the weekend, and that was the first I saw the voice verify code. Sold two more things yesterday, and each one attracted the voice verify scammers. Always something.

Clamco, I've had good success selling things on craigslist. Maybe some locations are better than others. The only time I've gotten crickets was when trying to sell some good running shoes that I'd worn outside once before realizing they were the wrong size. No response other than a foot fetish person. I donated the shooz.

Annster, the scammers - they're everywhere, it seems!

Morgan Cartwright said...

Thank you for the scammer advice! I have a kitchen table I'm going to attempt to sell on Craigslist. I've never heard of voice verify?!
I've been watching the news and seeing all the snow events still happening! Maybe since it's June, no more snow?!? :)

Abby said...

Morgan, I'd never heard of a voice verify for craigslist before last week so I googled. Good luck selling your table!
And yes, our mountains got 20 inches of snow last weekend!

LL Cool Joe said...

I was thinking I didn't know that Meego was gay. I bet he's glad you cleared that one up. Well of course he could be bi, or pansexual. Okay I'll shut up, and just say nice bike!