Pages

Wednesday, May 29, 2019

who are we?

I received a series of texts last night/this morning around 2am.  I normally turn my phone off at night, but I guess I forgot last night.

So I was awakened by these incoming texts - paragraphs of them.  Who is going to roll over and go back to sleep with that going on?  They were from a student of mine, one of the local high schoolers.  Let's call her "Betty".

Betty and her mom came to me early in the school year after Betty'd suffered a concussion during basketball practice.  As Betty struggled to recover, she fell behind in her classes, which made up a challenging junior-year course load.

I enjoy working with Betty.  She's observant and funny, and she works hard.  She often seemed tired and confused, forgetting things we'd reviewed just moments prior.  Her speech and writing would sometimes become notably slow.  Betty's doctor eventually advised her to drop the math class I was tutoring her for as it was putting too much strain on Betty's brain, slowing her recovery and making her headaches worse.

Then there's neighbor kid, Matt.  He's a couple years older than Meego and attends college in Denver.  A little over a year ago, he was hit by a car while running and errand on his bicycle, and he wasn't wearing a helmet.  Once again, concussion.  It's set him back a couple of semesters of college, but it could've been much worse.  His mom tells me of the bizarre personality and mood changes in Matt since his concussion, but he seems on the mend now.

Then there's my friend, Dee.  Dee's husband had a bad skiing accident a couple of seasons ago - concussion.  Dee says he underwent a "complete personality change".  At first, it was amusing, but then, among other things, he wanted to leave Dee and the thriving business they've built.  Dee managed to keep it together, and counseling is helping them a lot.

These kinds of things get me pondering.  Who are we at the "soul"?  How much of our personalities are shaped by our culture and our biology and our brain matter if a blow to the head can make such marked changes?



So these texts.  In them, Betty describes her frustration with this past school year - with having to withdraw from precalculus and also returning an utterly lackluster SAT score. She has a plan for summer break to get some of herself, her grades, and her test scores back.

I'm here and rootin' for ya Betty!  Now, get some sleep.



6 comments:

Annsterw said...

So very sad! It is awful how one thing (one split second occurrence) can change the trajectory of so many lives :-(

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Oh my. I recall when a baseball player had so many they suggested he retire. He went kicking and screaming and I just saw an interview with him and he said it saved his stubborn life. That made me laugh. He talked about the concussion and its effects on him. Scary stuff isn't it?
I had a concussion but I don't recall anything like that. But then it was just a quick blow to the head on a tile floor and a broken nose. Not like running into a tree.
I think our soul is in there. I'd like to think so anyway. But the wires in the mainframe are all twisted and misconnecting. But then again, what the hell do I know?

ShadowRun300 said...

Scary stuff... I’ve never known anyone who’s had a concussion, knock on wood. I feel bad for Betty, and I’d be devastated if I were her mom watching her go through that. Nice that you’re offering her support.
And isn’t it crazy how kids that age text at all hours of the night. I often wake up in the morning to texts my daughter sent in the middle of the night. I suppose I’m texting her back in the middle of her night. 😏

Abby said...

Ann, I know, right? With all of these, it happened while they were doing things they enjoy.

Peggy, I remember your broken nose story - a good one - and I'm glad you didn't turn into someone else! Until talking with Dee, I didn't know that brain injury can make for such changes in personality and behavior in addition to headaches and such.

SR300, it is scary... and kinda prevalent. So yeah, knock on wood. Tonight, I'll remember to turn off the phone.

Chatty Crone said...

Man you have been a REAL blessing to these kids -

Abby said...

Chatty, I hope so! And... well... they do pay me.